defender won't install

=?Utf-8?B?amNrYmVubnk=?=

      21st Apr 2007
I have WinXP 64bit SP2. I downloaded Windows Defender X64 version. I get an
error message on install.
The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the progress
bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the message..."Defender
failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
services."
I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user.
Any thoughts?

Dave M

      21st Apr 2007
Maybe a few things to check that I can think of, but otherwise I don't have
a good grasp on that error.

Is your Windows Installer for X64 current and have you applied all other
critical Windows updates?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898715/

When you tried the WD install was your AntiVirus disabled after downloading
to disk (disconnect from the net while installing)

I think your getting an installer 1920 error starting the Defender service,
but that service is itself dependent on the Remote Procedure Call Service,
so both services should be set for automatic and both should be running
(started).

Finally, on my 32 bit XP the Defender Service Logs on as the Local System
account, and the RPC Service Logs on as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, not as
a privileged Admin account, so I suspect it's not really referring to your
own account as not having enough privilege (look in properties of these
services).

--

Regards, Dave

jckbenny wrote:
> I have WinXP 64bit SP2. I downloaded Windows Defender X64 version. I get
> an
> error message on install.
> The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the
> progress
> bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the
> message..."Defender
> failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
> services."
> I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user.
> Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vla2V0dGU=?=

      20th May 2007
I have downloaded Windows Defender and when I try to install it, I get a
message that another installation is in progress, to install that first and
retry. My CPU usage is at 100%, I need some help here A.S.A.P.
Thanx in advance

"jckbenny" wrote:

> I have WinXP 64bit SP2. I downloaded Windows Defender X64 version. I get an
> error message on install.
> The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the progress
> bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the message..."Defender
> failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
> services."
> I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user.
> Any thoughts?

Dave M

      21st May 2007
There's not much to go on here, you've appended to a post about Defender on
a XP 64 bit system (non-standard), so is that your operating system as
well? Are there any error codes associated with that error message that
you're getting? Is this home system or are you on a corporate network?
What process in task manager is using all those CPU cycles?

As a matter of practice it's usually a good idea prior to installing
Defender to visit Windows Update and do repeated Express installs of any
outstanding high priority updates until no further updates are offered to
you. Also we recommend downloading the Defender installation package to
your hard disk and disabling any installed real time Anti-Virus and
Anti-Spyware while the Defender install is in progress.

--

Regards, Dave

Geekette wrote:
> I have downloaded Windows Defender and when I try to install it, I get a
> message that another installation is in progress, to install that first
> and
> retry. My CPU usage is at 100%, I need some help here A.S.A.P.
> Thanx in advance
>
> "jckbenny" wrote:
>
>> I have WinXP 64bit SP2. I downloaded Windows Defender X64 version. I get
>> an
>> error message on install.
>> The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the
>> progress
>> bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the
>> message..."Defender
>> failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
>> services."
>> I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user.
>> Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

      10th Jul 2007
I am seeing the same symptoms on 2 systems on a domain.

Are you saying that the RPC service needs to be started as the domain admin
for the WinDefend service to start?

"Dave M" wrote:

> Finally, on my 32 bit XP the Defender Service Logs on as the Local System
> account, and the RPC Service Logs on as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, not as
> a privileged Admin account, so I suspect it's not really referring to your
> own account as not having enough privilege (look in properties of these
> services).

Dave M

      12th Jul 2007
Hi Pete;

It does need to be started, not as the domain admin but rather as a
built-in somewhat reduced privilege account similar to an authenticated
user account. If you check the Properties menu on the Windows Defender
Service this service is dependent on the system component RPC service.
Both of these services should be automatically started for WD to function
correctly, as opposed to either manually started or in disabled status.

--

Regards, Dave

Pete wrote:
> I am seeing the same symptoms on 2 systems on a domain.
>
> Are you saying that the RPC service needs to be started as the domain
> admin
> for the WinDefend service to start?
>
> "Dave M" wrote:
>

>> Finally, on my 32 bit XP the Defender Service Logs on as the Local
>> System
>> account, and the RPC Service Logs on as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, not
>> as
>> a privileged Admin account, so I suspect it's not really referring to
>> your
>> own account as not having enough privilege (look in properties of these
>> services).

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

      14th Jul 2007
It's kind of a strange situation. Like, Jck,

"The installation status window gets to "Starting services" and the progress
bar goes to about 2/3rds completion and halts with the message..."Defender
failed to start...verify you have sufficient privileges to start system
services."
I do have privileges as I built the system and am the only user."

So if I jump over to the services list, I can see defender as "automatic"
but not started. When I try to start it, I get a message that says "The
service was started but stopped. This may be normal as some services will
stop when idle" or some such. Any attempt to continue the install fail and I
have to cancel and back out.

Both the machines are on the same domain so I assume its a problem with
policy handed down from the domain controller but the symptoms persist even
if I try to install while logged in as the domain admin. What policy would
dictate the starting of a new service?

Norton AV Corp is in the mix, BTW. Disabled but installed.

"Dave M" wrote:

> Hi Pete;
>
> It does need to be started, not as the domain admin but rather as a
> built-in somewhat reduced privilege account similar to an authenticated
> user account. If you check the Properties menu on the Windows Defender
> Service this service is dependent on the system component RPC service.
> Both of these services should be automatically started for WD to function
> correctly, as opposed to either manually started or in disabled status.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> Pete wrote:
> > I am seeing the same symptoms on 2 systems on a domain.
> >
> > Are you saying that the RPC service needs to be started as the domain
> > admin
> > for the WinDefend service to start?
> >
> > "Dave M" wrote:
> >

> >> Finally, on my 32 bit XP the Defender Service Logs on as the Local
> >> System
> >> account, and the RPC Service Logs on as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, not
> >> as
> >> a privileged Admin account, so I suspect it's not really referring to
> >> your
> >> own account as not having enough privilege (look in properties of these
> >> services).

Dave M

      15th Jul 2007
Take a look here Pete, it will be kinda like working backwards with
appropriate substitutions since the quoted site is Symantec, but it might
give you some other ideas to check out for possibilities... Defender with
RTP should always be active and started... not stopped, I should think:

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/o...315571848.html
--

Regards, Dave