Defender service error during installation

=?Utf-8?B?UGlldFM=?=

      28th Apr 2006
Hi people!
I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:

Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.

When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
following error:

Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified

The registry key for the service
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
file is present on the system on that location...
I'm lost, who can help me here?
Kindest Regards,
Eric

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      28th Apr 2006
Hello PietS,

To install Windows Defender, you must be logged on as Administrator.

The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
disabled
--
I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
desktop.

I hope this post is helpful.

Please , rate the pºsts.

Еиçеl
--

"PietS" wrote:

> Hi people!
> I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
> servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:
>
> Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.
>
> When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
> following error:
>
> Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
> 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified
>
> The registry key for the service
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
> ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
> file is present on the system on that location...
> I'm lost, who can help me here?
> Kindest Regards,
> Eric

=?Utf-8?B?bnljbWFu?=

      28th Apr 2006
How do I verify that RPC is enabled?
Thanks.
--
nycman

"Engel" wrote:

> The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> disabled

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      29th Apr 2006
Hello nycman,

Click on Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools then Services.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/print.shtml

I hope this post is helpful.
Please , rate the pºsts.
Еиçеl

"nycman" wrote:

> How do I verify that RPC is enabled?
> Thanks.
> --
> nycman
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> > disabled
> > --

=?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFJlYmVs?=

      30th Apr 2006
Hi, Engel, Your link for tweak xp services is getting redirected to that
site's main page. Can you post a link to the specific information?
--
Old Rebel: Old, but not too old to learn new tricks!

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello nycman,
>
> Click on Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools then Services.
>
> http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/print.shtml
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
> Please , rate the pºsts.
> Еиçеl
>

> "nycman" wrote:
>
> > How do I verify that RPC is enabled?
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > nycman
> >

> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> > > disabled
> > > --

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

      1st May 2006
I'm getting the same problem on same OS and service packs, on a number of
computers.

RPC is enabled and i am an administrator.

James

"PietS" wrote:

> Hi people!
> I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
> servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:
>
> Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.
>
> When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
> following error:
>
> Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
> 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified
>
> The registry key for the service
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
> ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
> file is present on the system on that location...
> I'm lost, who can help me here?
> Kindest Regards,
> Eric

=?Utf-8?B?UGlldFM=?=

      1st May 2006
Hi Engel!
Same as James here: Remote Procedure Call service is started and I am logged
on as administrator. I ran the setup again with Mc Affee Virusscan 8.0
disabled, but same result: 2147942402: The system cannot find the file
specified
Kind regards,
Eric

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello PietS,
>
> To install Windows Defender, you must be logged on as Administrator.
>
> The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> disabled
> --
> I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
> desktop.
> After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
> antivirus for long enough to do the installation.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Please , rate the pºsts.
>
> Еиçеl
> --
>
> "PietS" wrote:
>
> > Hi people!
> > I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
> > servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:
> >
> > Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.
> >
> > When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
> > following error:
> >
> > Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
> > 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified
> >
> > The registry key for the service
> > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
> > ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
> > file is present on the system on that location...
> > I'm lost, who can help me here?
> > Kindest Regards,
> > Eric

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      1st May 2006
Hi guys,

For that # error see here:
http://search.microsoft.com/results....S&q=2147942402

Good luck

"PietS" wrote:

> Hi Engel!
> Same as James here: Remote Procedure Call service is started and I am logged
> on as administrator. I ran the setup again with Mc Affee Virusscan 8.0
> disabled, but same result: 2147942402: The system cannot find the file
> specified
> Kind regards,
> Eric
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello PietS,
> >
> > To install Windows Defender, you must be logged on as Administrator.
> >
> > The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> > disabled
> > --
> > I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
> > desktop.
> > After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
> > antivirus for long enough to do the installation.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Please , rate the pºsts.
> >
> > Еиçеl
> > --
> >
> > "PietS" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi people!
> > > I'm trying to install Windows Defender 2 on a Windows 2000 (latest
> > > servicepack and hotfixes), but installation fails with the following message:
> > >
> > > Service 'Windows Defender Service' (WinDefend) failed to start.
> > >
> > > When I manually try to start the Windows Defender Service it returns the
> > > following error:
> > >
> > > Could not start the Windows Defender Service on Local Computer. Error
> > > 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified
> > >
> > > The registry key for the service
> > > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ContrlSet001\Services\WinDefend shows the
> > > ImagePath key to be "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" and the
> > > file is present on the system on that location...
> > > I'm lost, who can help me here?
> > > Kindest Regards,
> > > Eric

=?Utf-8?B?UGlldFM=?=

      2nd May 2006
Hi Engel!
What has that KB article got to do with my problem???
It's about "The Internet Connection Wizard was interrupted because of an
error or user intervention" error message when you run the Internet
Connection Wizard" while I receive the "2147942402: The system cannot find
the file specified" error when the WD installer tries to start the Windefend
service!!!!
Kind regards,
Eric

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> For that # error see here:
> http://search.microsoft.com/results....S&q=2147942402
>
> Good luck
>

> "PietS" wrote:
>
> > Hi Engel!
> > Same as James here: Remote Procedure Call service is started and I am logged
> > on as administrator. I ran the setup again with Mc Affee Virusscan 8.0
> > disabled, but same result: 2147942402: The system cannot find the file
> > specified
> > Kind regards,
> > Eric
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello PietS,
> > >
> > > To install Windows Defender, you must be logged on as Administrator.
> > >
> > > The Windows Defender service depends on RPC--so be sure that RPC is not
> > > disabled
> > > --
> > > I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
> > > desktop.
> > > After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
> > > antivirus for long enough to do the installation.
> > >
> > > I hope this post is helpful.
> > >
> > > Please , rate the pºsts.
> > >
> > > Еиçеl
> > > --

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

      10th May 2006
There is likely more at play here than running as an admin and RPC started.
Can you tell me if you run any lockdown scripts or anything of that sort
which would tighten up registry permissions?

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP