PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Defender Not Updating 0x80190197

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Sep 2007
Hi,

Since I have used a proxy server, fom my ISP, which requires a username and
password I get the following error:
The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197

Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?

TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Sanderson MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Sep 2007
Does Windows Update work through this proxy?

You can update manually via links in the right column at:

www.microsoft.com/security/portal

--

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Since I have used a proxy server, fom my ISP, which requires a username
> and
> password I get the following error:
> The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197
>
> Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?
>
> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Sep 2007
Hi Bill,
Yes windows update works because it opens in a IE browser window thus I get
the proxy logon box. But defender connects within the application without
opening a browser so I do not get a chance authenticate with the proxy. AVG
anti-virus and MSN messenger for example have a place to enter the proxy
username and password. It seems defender doesn't .

"Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:

> Does Windows Update work through this proxy?
>
> You can update manually via links in the right column at:
>
> www.microsoft.com/security/portal
>
> --
>
> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since I have used a proxy server, fom my ISP, which requires a username
> > and
> > password I get the following error:
> > The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197
> >
> > Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?
> >
> > TIA

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Sanderson MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Sep 2007
I don't think this is going to work. One workaround would be to ask the ISP
if they would allow access to the WindowsUpdate servers without
authentication.

This would make things easier for their customers, and not be a security
risk, I think.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819

The above KB has a list of what would need to be allowed out.

Windows Defender updates from the windows update servers, using bits. If
your proxy were able to be configured in Internet Explorer, Windows defender
would use those settings. Since you need to enter them manually, it cannot.

You could create a command line tool which you could run while you were
authenticated (i.e. when browsing, after entering credentials.)

c:\program files\windows defender\mpcmdrun /SignatureUpdate

should do it.

--

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bill,
> Yes windows update works because it opens in a IE browser window thus I
> get
> the proxy logon box. But defender connects within the application without
> opening a browser so I do not get a chance authenticate with the proxy.
> AVG
> anti-virus and MSN messenger for example have a place to enter the proxy
> username and password. It seems defender doesn't .
>
> "Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:
>
>> Does Windows Update work through this proxy?
>>
>> You can update manually via links in the right column at:
>>
>> www.microsoft.com/security/portal
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Since I have used a proxy server, fom my ISP, which requires a username
>> > and
>> > password I get the following error:
>> > The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197
>> >
>> > Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?
>> >
>> > TIA

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Sep 2007
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your help. I'll try what you have suggested.
Cheers!

"Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:

> I don't think this is going to work. One workaround would be to ask the ISP
> if they would allow access to the WindowsUpdate servers without
> authentication.
>
> This would make things easier for their customers, and not be a security
> risk, I think.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885819
>
> The above KB has a list of what would need to be allowed out.
>
> Windows Defender updates from the windows update servers, using bits. If
> your proxy were able to be configured in Internet Explorer, Windows defender
> would use those settings. Since you need to enter them manually, it cannot.
>
> You could create a command line tool which you could run while you were
> authenticated (i.e. when browsing, after entering credentials.)
>
> c:\program files\windows defender\mpcmdrun /SignatureUpdate
>
> should do it.
>
> --
>
> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Bill,
> > Yes windows update works because it opens in a IE browser window thus I
> > get
> > the proxy logon box. But defender connects within the application without
> > opening a browser so I do not get a chance authenticate with the proxy.
> > AVG
> > anti-virus and MSN messenger for example have a place to enter the proxy
> > username and password. It seems defender doesn't .
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Does Windows Update work through this proxy?
> >>
> >> You can update manually via links in the right column at:
> >>
> >> www.microsoft.com/security/portal
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > Since I have used a proxy server, fom my ISP, which requires a username
> >> > and
> >> > password I get the following error:
> >> > The program can't check for definition updates: code 0x80190197
> >> >
> >> > Is there anyway to put the proxy username and password in defender?
> >> >
> >> > TIA
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
pipperspaced
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Dec 2007
hello,
can you help me what is message error 0x80190197 and how can I
updated...


thanks,
elizabeth



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Sanderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Dec 2007
Have you read the other messages in this thread and have they helped?

If you go to WindowsUpdate and do an express scan, are updates offered? and
can you successfully install them?

"pipperspaced" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
> can you help me what is message error 0x80190197 and how can I
> updated...
>
>
> thanks,
> elizabeth
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defender fix not detecting anti-virus/turned off defender =?Utf-8?B?TXIgRml4IGl0?= Spyware Discussion 2 14th Jul 2007 03:50 PM
Defender Not updating Signatures =?Utf-8?B?RyBTY2htaWR0LUtyb2hu?= Spyware Announcements 33 22nd Mar 2006 08:13 PM
RE: Windows Defender not updating =?Utf-8?B?UkpL?= Spyware Discussion 0 11th Mar 2006 11:22 PM
Windows Defender - Not Updating =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFJlYmVs?= Spyware Announcements 2 14th Feb 2006 04:02 PM
SUS Error (Library download error. Will retry. (Error 0x80190197)) SF Microsoft Windows 2000 Windows Updates 0 4th Dec 2003 09:02 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 PM.