defender installations

=?Utf-8?B?ZWxoYW5hbg==?=

      9th Mar 2006
i tried to install windows defender on a windows xp professional and got an
error massage that my windows is a vlk version, I purchase a new windows xp
sw but I do not want to install it from scratch so I change the key according
to Microsoft site instructions, the windows accept the new key but the
defender still give the same error,
Please advice
elhanan

Bill Sanderson

      9th Mar 2006
That sounds as though you did the right things, but there can be limitations
to what key can replace what original key, I suspect.

I would try going through the process here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

to see if it helps in any way. If it does not, I'd recommend a repair
install, as described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

Under most circumstances, such a repair install is pretty benign--you'll
have some trouble telling that you'd done it afterwards--i.e. you don't need
to reinstall applications.

However, there are some circumstances, which mostly relate to OEM
installations, where data loss is possible--read the article and the linked
articles as they apply, carefully.

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...