Is Defender causing false positive in McAfee SecurityCenter?

=?Utf-8?B?Sl9lamZ1ZGQ=?=

      29th Jul 2007
I received the following message from newly downloaded McAfee Security Center
(courtesy of AOL)...

McAfee has automatically blocked a potentially unwanted program from running
on your computer.

Details
Name: Adware-SpyStormer
Process: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
Process Name: Service Executable
File Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sandlot Shared\slghex.dll

If you do not recognize this potentially unwanted program, McAfee recommends
that you remove it. If you recognize this potentially unwanted program, trust
it, and then rerun the program that triggered this alert.

....I could not find reference to SpyStormer in the malware glossery via
Defender Help. Although, McAfee's site shows it to be a rogue anti-spyware
program. Screenshots of the GUI shown were unfamiliar to me. Did McAfee goof
or is defender in trouble? Anyone?

Btw, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and Defender scan clean.

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      29th Jul 2007
Hello J_ejfudd,

Why don,t you upload the file, just to see.

This could well be a false positive.

One way to get further information is to find on your system, and submit the
file at one or more of the following sites:

http://www.virustotal.com

http://virusscan.jotti.org

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/submit.aspx

Each has a browse window in the upper right to do the submission, and will
check out your file with 10 or so antivirus vendors with one submission.

A clean reading at these sites is not proof that a file is safe, but I'd say
in this case that it is likely to be a good indicator that, in fact, the file
is safe, and you are seeing a false positive.

To be sure run a Full scan with Windows Defender in Safe Mode (F-8) also
with your anti-virus (updated)

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Еиçεl
--

PUNISHMENT
The public has more interest in the punishment of an injury than he who

"J_ejfudd" wrote:

> I received the following message from newly downloaded McAfee Security Center
> (courtesy of AOL)...
>
> McAfee has automatically blocked a potentially unwanted program from running
> on your computer.
>
> Details
> Name: Adware-SpyStormer
> Process: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
> Process Name: Service Executable
> File Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sandlot Shared\slghex.dll
>
> If you do not recognize this potentially unwanted program, McAfee recommends
> that you remove it. If you recognize this potentially unwanted program, trust
> it, and then rerun the program that triggered this alert.
>
> ...I could not find reference to SpyStormer in the malware glossery via
> Defender Help. Although, McAfee's site shows it to be a rogue anti-spyware
> program. Screenshots of the GUI shown were unfamiliar to me. Did McAfee goof
> or is defender in trouble? Anyone?
>
> Btw, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and Defender scan clean.

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      29th Jul 2007
Getting into Windows Safe Mode.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Important, You have to enable to show hidden files and folders in order to
find the file or program.

How Do I Enable Show Hidden Files And Folders To Windows XP Help And Support
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...idden_file.htm

Good luck
--

PUNISHMENT