dead Asus P4P800 DELUXE/P4 2.8

Paul

      8th Jun 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "(PeteCresswell)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Per liu:
> > By
> >average, probably turn on and off 1 to 2 times each day. In the
> >weekend, maybe 3 or 4 times a day. By average, I probably use it 5
> >hours a day in thee weekdays, 8 to 10 hours in the weekend.

> I used to run my old one 24/7. Now, with my new box (P4P800 Deluxe

also) I've
> been doing the same thing you are.... couple on/offs per day.
>
> Long time ago, when I was working in the IT department of a major electric
> utility, somebody reasoned that we could save significant money by turning all
> our IBM 3290 terminals off each night and back on again in the morning.
>
> Electric consumption, obviously, went down by the precise calculated amount of
> TerminalCount * Watts/Terminal * HoursOff.
>
> What nobody expected was that repair costs on the terminals went through the
> roof - far outweighing the savings in electricity. Something about
> heating/cooling the circuit boards over-and-over.
>
> But that was a long time ago.... and I'm hoping that circuit board design has
> progressed since then.
>
> I guess I'm gonna find out... but until somebody who knows chimes in I'd hold
> that out as a possible factor in your bad luck.

The thermal coefficient of expansion of the materials used is the
same as it always was. For example, if you heat and cool your
motherboard by a certain temperature range, several times a day,
it can affect solder joint reliability (motherboard might last
less than ten years). So, yes, switching the PC on and off a lot
should have a measurable effect (if you wait enough years and
sample enough motherboards).

But, you might also have to consider the beneficial effect on some
of the other components. Perhaps the electrolytic capacitors will
last longer, if the system case air temperature is reduced on
average. So, some parts of the computer may benefit, and others
are harmed a tiny bit, by the different operating practices.

But a dead PC gives you an opportunity to upgrade, so it isn't
all bad :-)

Paul

liu

      13th Jun 2005
Thank you all for the information. One last question, is there a way to
figure out whether it's the CPU or the motherboard that is bad. I think
it's highly unlikely that both went bad. I'm thinking A64 system for my
next purchase, so I don't have a similar setupto test.

Thanks,

cpliu

Paul

      14th Jun 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "liu"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thank you all for the information. One last question, is there a way to
> figure out whether it's the CPU or the motherboard that is bad. I think
> it's highly unlikely that both went bad. I'm thinking A64 system for my
> next purchase, so I don't have a similar setupto test.
>
> Thanks,
>
> cpliu

Because the board beeps when RAM is missing, I think you are able
to execute some of the BIOS code. That means the CPU is still good,
whereas we don't know about the motherboard.

Assuming the warranty on the motherboard is good for three years,
perhaps you can return it under warranty, and get it fixed.
Wrap the motherboard in its anti-static bag, and put in in a
box that won't get easily crushed. Phone Asus Tech support to
arrange an RMA - web site methods are notorious for unreliability.
The RMA number must be on the outside of the shipping container,
for an RMA to be accepted at the receiving end.

Paul