dcpromo error

debbierettberg

      18th Dec 2003
text message on screen is:
"role owner attribute could not be read"

Error translates into 8366 - ERROR_DS_INVALID_ROLE_OWNER

Why are the Windows 2000 servers unable to dcpromo
themselves into child domains, when the parent domain is
working fine and holds all 5 FSMO roles?

What role is being referenced?

Thanks

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      19th Dec 2003
In news:0b1a01c3c5aa$dcbbc030$(E-Mail Removed),
debbierettberg <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts,
then I offered mine
> text message on screen is:
> "role owner attribute could not be read"
>
> Error translates into 8366 - ERROR_DS_INVALID_ROLE_OWNER
>
> Why are the Windows 2000 servers unable to dcpromo
> themselves into child domains, when the parent domain is
> working fine and holds all 5 FSMO roles?
>
> What role is being referenced?
>
> Thanks

Tough to say, but the first thing I would do on the machine you are trying
to promote, make sure the DNS settings only use the DNS server(s) in the
parent domain and try it again. Let us know how you make out.

FYI: Only use your internal DNS because AD stores it's service and resource
locations in DNS. If you use an ISP's DNS, numerous errors will occur. Use a
forwarder for efficient Internet resolution.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

      20th Dec 2003

( use tools like DCDIAG, NLTEST, REPLMON)and are
registered correctly in DNS , make sure the systems that
are being promoted can resolve name queries to the root
domain and systems, DNS,DNS,DNS !!!