Date format clarification

Blue Max

      6th Apr 2010
When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that displays:

[$-409]d-mmm-yy;@

What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this standard
format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
the prefix for all custom date formats we create?

Thank you for any help.

Gary''s Student

      6th Apr 2010
Its a number format code. See:

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC010272491033

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Blue Max" wrote:

> When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
> selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that displays:
>
> [$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
>
> What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this standard
> format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
> the prefix for all custom date formats we create?
>
> Thank you for any help.

Gord Dibben

      6th Apr 2010
The 409 is country or locale code number.

Not necessary to use it when custom formatting cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:24:52 -0600, "Blue Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
>selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that displays:
>
>[$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
>
>What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this standard
>format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
>the prefix for all custom date formats we create?
>
>Thank you for any help.

Blue Max

      6th Apr 2010
Thank you for the reply, "Gary's Student - gsnu201001". The information
link was very useful. However, we still have the following questions:

FIRST, why does this prefix even show when we are working in our default
locale (location) and have not specified a new locale (location) for the
shipping format before selecting the 'Custom' category?

SECOND, we note that the custom format only shows the prefix for the locale
and language segment, not the numeral shape or calendar type segment. If it
must have the prefix then why not all segments of the prefix?

THIRD, does a user always have to include a prefix when creating custom
format codes, even when working in their default locale (location)?

Thanks,

Richard

*******************
"Gary''s Student" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its a number format code. See:
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC010272491033
>

> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu201001
>

> "Blue Max" wrote:
>
>> When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007,
>> then
>> selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that
>> displays:
>>
>> [$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
>>
>> What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this
>> standard
>> format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
>> the prefix for all custom date formats we create?
>>
>> Thank you for any help.

Blue Max

      6th Apr 2010
Thank you, Gord. I appreciate the confirmation that it is not necessary.
However, still wonder why it even shows up in the first place when
displaying the custom format code for the standard code?

Thanks,

Richard

> The 409 is country or locale code number.
>
> Not necessary to use it when custom formatting cells.
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:24:52 -0600, "Blue Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
>>selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that
>>displays:
>>
>>[$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
>>
>>What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this
>>standard
>>format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
>>the prefix for all custom date formats we create?
>>
>>Thank you for any help.

Gord Dibben

      6th Apr 2010
Why? No idea.

Gord

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:06:07 -0600, "Blue Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you, Gord. I appreciate the confirmation that it is not necessary.
>However, still wonder why it even shows up in the first place when
>displaying the custom format code for the standard code?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Richard
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The 409 is country or locale code number.
>>
>> Not necessary to use it when custom formatting cells.
>>

>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:24:52 -0600, "Blue Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>When a user selects the 14-Mar-01 standard date format in Excel 2007, then
>>>selects the custom format option, this is the standard format that
>>>displays:
>>>
>>>[$-409]d-mmm-yy;@
>>>
>>>What is the significance of the prefix "[$-409]" included with this
>>>standard
>>>format? Why is that prefix even necessary and is it necessary to include
>>>the prefix for all custom date formats we create?
>>>
>>>Thank you for any help.

ozgrid.com

      7th Apr 2010
I believe the "[$-409]" will switch formats if opened on another PC, if
needed.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley