date and time won't synchronize

Jud McCranie

      3rd Jun 2007
I noticed that the time was off by a few minutes on this computer. I
have it set to automatically synchronize on the internet, but it
obviously hasn't been working for a while. If I tell it to "update
now" with time.nist.gov or time.windows.com, it gives an error
message. On another computer, those same two also give errors, but it
has a third choice - time-a.nist.gov - which does work (usually). This
computer has WP Media Center SP2, the other has XP home SP2. Both have
all updates.

Is there a way to get the "internet time" to work? (If this computer
had the time-a.nist.gov, it would probably work.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie

      3rd Jun 2007
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:01:17 -0400, Jud McCranie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed that the time was off by a few minutes on this computer.

PS, I doubt this matters, but the one that has the third choice for
the time website came with SP1 and was upgraded to SP2. The one with
only two choices (neither of which work) came with XP Media Center
SP2.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Ken Blake, MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed that the time was off by a few minutes on this computer. I
>have it set to automatically synchronize on the internet, but it
>obviously hasn't been working for a while. If I tell it to "update
>now" with time.nist.gov or time.windows.com, it gives an error
>message. On another computer, those same two also give errors, but it
>has a third choice - time-a.nist.gov - which does work (usually). This
>computer has WP Media Center SP2, the other has XP home SP2. Both have
>all updates.
>
>Is there a way to get the "internet time" to work? (If this computer
>had the time-a.nist.gov, it would probably work.)

There are *many* time servers available, and you can use any of them
you want. If time-a.nist.gov isn't shown, just type it in.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Jud McCranie

      3rd Jun 2007
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:33:19 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are *many* time servers available, and you can use any of them
>you want. If time-a.nist.gov isn't shown, just type it in.

OK, I wasn't aware that I could type it in there. I typed in
time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov - the second one worked. And I
clicked "apply" and it saved it. Thanks.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Ken Blake, MVP

      3rd Jun 2007
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:43:40 -0400, Jud McCranie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:33:19 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There are *many* time servers available, and you can use any of them
>>you want. If time-a.nist.gov isn't shown, just type it in.

>OK, I wasn't aware that I could type it in there. I typed in
>time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov - the second one worked. And I
>clicked "apply" and it saved it. Thanks.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Plato

      3rd Jun 2007

http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/010.htm#8

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Frank\(FL\)

      4th Jun 2007
Jud McCranie wrote:
> I noticed that the time was off by a few minutes on this computer. I
> have it set to automatically synchronize on the internet, but it
> obviously hasn't been working for a while. If I tell it to "update
> now" with time.nist.gov or time.windows.com, it gives an error
> message. On another computer, those same two also give errors, but it
> has a third choice - time-a.nist.gov - which does work (usually). This
> computer has WP Media Center SP2, the other has XP home SP2. Both have
> all updates.
>
> Is there a way to get the "internet time" to work? (If this computer
> had the time-a.nist.gov, it would probably work.)

This has been hashed over several times.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...693d77d9b13829

net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register