Date and Time Properties: Internet Time

Phisherman

      18th Sep 2007
Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:

An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
time.windows.com

I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
trying to get the time I get the following error:

Failed to get atomic time

I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

Lispo

      18th Sep 2007
Me too using Atomic alarm clock by Drive Software, but all ok.

robert.stojanov@gmail.com

      18th Sep 2007
Hi,
take a look at this MS article it will help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909279

Regards,
Robert

witan

      18th Sep 2007
On Sep 18, 4:13 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
> Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
>
> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
> time.windows.com
>
> I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
> tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
> trying to get the time I get the following error:
>
> Failed to get atomic time
>
> I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
> enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

Make sure that the Windows Time service (W32Time) is running.

Phisherman

      18th Sep 2007
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:23:56 -0700, witan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sep 18, 4:13 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
>> Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
>>
>> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
>> time.windows.com
>>
>> I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
>> tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
>> trying to get the time I get the following error:
>>
>> Failed to get atomic time
>>
>> I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
>> enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

>Make sure that the Windows Time service (W32Time) is running.

The w32Time is running. Set to "automatic." I tried stopping and
starting the service, still fails to contact the server.

Unknown

      18th Sep 2007
Try changing the time server to tock.usno.navy.mil
"Phisherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:23:56 -0700, witan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sep 18, 4:13 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
>>> Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
>>>
>>> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
>>> time.windows.com
>>>
>>> I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
>>> tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
>>> trying to get the time I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Failed to get atomic time
>>>
>>> I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
>>> enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

>>Make sure that the Windows Time service (W32Time) is running.

> The w32Time is running. Set to "automatic." I tried stopping and
> starting the service, still fails to contact the server.

Phisherman

      18th Sep 2007
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:18 -0500, "Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>tock.usno.navy.mil

That worked! And it worked BOTH in Windows Date/Time Properties and
Atomic Alarm Clock. Don't know exactly why this works and the other
servers did not, perhaps a different protocol?

Many thanks to Unknown. And, I must say, the US Navy rocks!

Unknown

      18th Sep 2007
Happy it solved your problem.
"Phisherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:17:18 -0500, "Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>tock.usno.navy.mil

> That worked! And it worked BOTH in Windows Date/Time Properties and
> Atomic Alarm Clock. Don't know exactly why this works and the other
> servers did not, perhaps a different protocol?
>
> Many thanks to Unknown. And, I must say, the US Navy rocks!

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iSXNNZQ==?=

      20th Sep 2007
> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
> time.windows.com

This worked in XP Home SP2:
Open a command prompt - run cmd.exe - then type these lines:

net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister <-- [ignore error message]
w32tm /register
net start w32time

Go to the clock and click 'Update Now'. I used time-a.nist.gov for the server.

In the registry there were two extra values "Group=" and "FailureActions="
in the first key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time] and one extra
subkey [..\W32Time\Enum] (with values) in the old non-working registry
configuration. Maybe that's what's causing the problem. I suspect the
"FailureActions=" value may have been bad and getting rid of it fixed the
problem (but I didn't try to recreate the problem).

bbunny

      22nd Sep 2007

"Phisherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I try to update my system clock using "Date and Time
> Properties," "Internet Time," I get the following error:
>

> An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with
> time.windows.com
>

> I tried another server (time.nist.gov) with the same results. Then I
> tried installing "Atomic Alarm Clock" by Drive Software Company. When
> trying to get the time I get the following error:
>

> Failed to get atomic time
>

> I'm using Windows XP Home and going through a WinProxy server. I
> enabled the time servers in the firewall. Any ideas?

I just love the guess work on this newsgroup.
Read the last paragraph.

<http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html>

Google for another ntp server such as <us.pool.ntp.org>