Databinding woes

=?Utf-8?B?U29ubnk=?=

      21st Oct 2004
We are upgrading a VB6 app to VB.Net.

It seems that when binding a dataview/datatable to a combobox, the property
ValueMember and DisplayMember are case sensitive. So I must enter the field
name with the same case as the database. This is very hard to maintain
because we have like 1000 stored procedures and I cannot make sure that the
case in those are respected.

Is there a way to deactivate this behavior or a workaround. In the dataset
you have a property to deactivate this but there is no effect to the
databinding.

--
Sonny Chouinard
R&D Manager

W.G. Ryan eMVP

      22nd Oct 2004
you can alias the columns in your select statement or change the Column name
locally - you can just use ToUpper or ToLower- then just change the
columnmapping in your crud commands to match the new values you chose.
However this is a band aid and I'd incrementally start enforcing a standard
so you don't have to keep working around it in perpetuity.

--
W.G. Ryan MVP (Windows Embedded)

TiBA Solutions
www.tibasolutions.com | www.devbuzz.com | www.knowdotnet.com
"Sonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are upgrading a VB6 app to VB.Net.
>
> It seems that when binding a dataview/datatable to a combobox, the

property
> ValueMember and DisplayMember are case sensitive. So I must enter the

field
> name with the same case as the database. This is very hard to maintain
> because we have like 1000 stored procedures and I cannot make sure that

the
> case in those are respected.
>
> Is there a way to deactivate this behavior or a workaround. In the dataset
> you have a property to deactivate this but there is no effect to the
> databinding.
>
> --
> Sonny Chouinard
> R&D Manager
> CHCA Computer Systems Inc.

=?Utf-8?B?U29ubnk=?=

      26th Oct 2004
Hi,

Thanks for your response. For our new product, this will be a standard to
correctly name the database objects. But for our old database. I don't think
we can do this. So i will have to use the band aid.

Thanks again