database does not work

daniel west

      19th May 2011
the form i have created has first name, last name and then 20 check
box options. Also, i want to make sure that they do not pick more than
4 checkboxes. i need the submit button to check that not more than 4
checkboxes are checked, i want to save the names and choices, then
start a new entry and exit

John W. Vinson

      19th May 2011
On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:50:21 -0700 (PDT), daniel west
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the form i have created has first name, last name and then 20 check
>box options. Also, i want to make sure that they do not pick more than
>4 checkboxes. i need the submit button to check that not more than 4
>checkboxes are checked, i want to save the names and choices, then
>start a new entry and exit

Do you have a question, Daniel? You haven't asked one.

Your database needs to be based on Tables, not starting with your Form. A form
does not contain data; it's just a window, a tool to let you manage data in
tables.

And while your checkbox interface may be tempting - and even may be useful as
a user interface - it's a very poor choice of a data STORAGE structure. You
have (it seems) a classic many to many relationship: each Person has one or
more (up to four?) choices; each of your twenty Choices can be selected by
zero, one or more People. The proper design for this is three tables:

People
PersonID <primary key, perhaps an autonumber>
LastName
FirstName
<other biographical data as appropriate>

OptionID <primary key, probably Number manually assigned 1 - 20>
Option <text, verbal description of this option>

Choices
PersonID <who made this choice>
OptionID <which choice did they make>

You can then design a Form to fit this data structure... rather than the other
way around.

Here are some resources that may help you through the thickets of relational
database design.

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/acc...resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
Microsoft's replacements for these newsgroups:

daniel west

      21st May 2011
how do i setup a button that saves, quits and checks data.

On May 19, 4:31*pm, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:50:21 -0700 (PDT), daniel west
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >the form i have created has first name, last name and then 20 check
> >box options. Also, i want to make sure that they do not pick more than
> >4 checkboxes. i need the submit button to check that not more than 4
> >checkboxes are checked, i want to save the names and choices, then
> >start a new entry and exit

> Do you have a question, Daniel? You haven't asked one.
>
> Your database needs to be based on Tables, not starting with your Form. Aform
> does not contain data; it's just a window, a tool to let you manage data in
> tables.
>
> And while your checkbox interface may be tempting - and even may be useful as
> a user interface - it's a very poor choice of a data STORAGE structure. You
> have (it seems) a classic many to many relationship: each Person has one or
> more (up to four?) choices; each of your twenty Choices can be selected by
> zero, one or more People. The proper design for this is three tables:
>
> People
> * PersonID <primary key, perhaps an autonumber>
> * LastName
> * FirstName
> * <other biographical data as appropriate>

> * OptionID <primary key, probably Number manually assigned 1 - 20>
> * Option <text, verbal description of this option>
>
> Choices
> * PersonID <who made this choice>
> * OptionID <which choice did they make>
>
> You can then design a Form to fit this data structure... rather than the other
> way around.
>
> Here are some resources that may help you through the thickets of relational
> database design.
>
> Jeff Conrad's resources page:http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/acc...resources.html
>
> The Access Web resources page:http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html
>
> Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
>
> A free tutorial written by Crystal:http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html
>
> A video how-to series by Crystal:http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal
>
> MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials
>
> --
>
> * * * * * * *John W. Vinson [MVP]
> *Microsoft's replacements for these newsgroups:
> *http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-US/accessdev/
> *http://social.answers.microsoft.com/.../en-US/addbuz/
> *and see alsohttp://www.utteraccess.com

David-W-Fenton

      21st May 2011
daniel west <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
m:

> how do i setup a button that saves, quits and checks data.

Very carefully.

Next question?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/