What is DAO 3.5?

Terry Pinnell

      18th Jul 2005
I'm trying to cull some of my old programs. In Add/Remove Programs,
several of them are mysteries to me. If I ever deliberately installed
them, I've long since forgotten. One example is DAO 3.5. Google
research so far has produce various highly technical threads, mainly
about VB. I'm no programmer, but I did once install VB6 (with good
intentions) and uninstall it a year later. Could this DAO 3.5 be a
residue from that? I want to be sure it's not some vital component of
some application that I *do* use...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Will Denny

      18th Jul 2005
Hi

DOA is related to MS Access. So if you use MS Access or any other programs
that may be related to/use MS Access I would suggest that you leave it where
it is.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to cull some of my old programs. In Add/Remove Programs,
> several of them are mysteries to me. If I ever deliberately installed
> them, I've long since forgotten. One example is DAO 3.5. Google
> research so far has produce various highly technical threads, mainly
> about VB. I'm no programmer, but I did once install VB6 (with good
> intentions) and uninstall it a year later. Could this DAO 3.5 be a
> residue from that? I want to be sure it's not some vital component of
> some application that I *do* use...
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

GTS

      18th Jul 2005
DAO (Data Access Objects) is a collection of functions (in various DLLs
basically) used for database activates. It is installed with VB and
various other development tools and often with database applications
programs. It is possible it's used by one or more programs you may have
installed, though not certain. If in doubt, I would leave it be.
--

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to cull some of my old programs. In Add/Remove Programs,
> several of them are mysteries to me. If I ever deliberately installed
> them, I've long since forgotten. One example is DAO 3.5. Google
> research so far has produce various highly technical threads, mainly
> about VB. I'm no programmer, but I did once install VB6 (with good
> intentions) and uninstall it a year later. Could this DAO 3.5 be a
> residue from that? I want to be sure it's not some vital component of
> some application that I *do* use...
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Winux P

      19th Jul 2005

If you have MS Access and/or MS Excel installed leave it where it is since
particular functionality in these applications may utilise it. You may have
other applications installed that require it. I haven't had it in my
Add\Remove list after a VB install though VB could have installed it, as MS
office does as well.

It may be a vital component of some application you *do* use.

- Winux P

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to cull some of my old programs. In Add/Remove Programs,
> several of them are mysteries to me. If I ever deliberately installed
> them, I've long since forgotten. One example is DAO 3.5. Google
> research so far has produce various highly technical threads, mainly
> about VB. I'm no programmer, but I did once install VB6 (with good
> intentions) and uninstall it a year later. Could this DAO 3.5 be a
> residue from that? I want to be sure it's not some vital component of
> some application that I *do* use...
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

      19th Jul 2005
"Winux P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have MS Access and/or MS Excel installed leave it where it is since
>particular functionality in these applications may utilise it. You may have
>other applications installed that require it. I haven't had it in my
>Add\Remove list after a VB install though VB could have installed it, as MS
>office does as well.
>
>It may be a vital component of some application you *do* use.
>
>- Winux P

Thanks all. I'll leave well alone then! I don't use Access explicitly,
but I do use Excel. And, as you say, it may be used elsewhere too.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK