Curious Quivering Cursor

CWLee

      15th Jan 2005

I'm using Windows 2000/Pro. Now and then, with my hand no
where near the mouse, the cursor moves back and forth on the
screen, sometimes in a smooth sweep, other times in a jumpy
mode.

Any idea what causes this? Does it forecast a problem to
appear one of these days? It doesn't bother me, and I can
easily live with it, but I worry that it is a hint I should
do something similar to changing the oil in my car.

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Jud

      16th Jan 2005

"CWLee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZlya50#(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm using Windows 2000/Pro. Now and then, with my hand no
> where near the mouse, the cursor moves back and forth on the
> screen, sometimes in a smooth sweep, other times in a jumpy
> mode.
>
> Any idea what causes this? Does it forecast a problem to
> appear one of these days? It doesn't bother me, and I can
> easily live with it, but I worry that it is a hint I should
> do something similar to changing the oil in my car.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

Try changing your mouse,
Jud

=?Utf-8?B?Qk1SNzc3?=

      16th Jan 2005
There are some "joke" programs and a virus that are responsible for some
weird mouse activity.

Go Here:
http://us.mcafee.com

Search in the Virus Database for "mouse" and see if any of these match your
symptoms.

-BMR777
www.rusnakweb.com

aD

      16th Jan 2005
CWLee wrote:
> I'm using Windows 2000/Pro. Now and then, with my hand no
> where near the mouse, the cursor moves back and forth on the
> screen, sometimes in a smooth sweep, other times in a jumpy
> mode.
>
> Any idea what causes this? Does it forecast a problem to
> appear one of these days? It doesn't bother me, and I can
> easily live with it, but I worry that it is a hint I should
> do something similar to changing the oil in my car.
>
> Thanks.

I've had mouse problems when direct sunlight was shining on the mouse - it
confuses the infared signals inside that detect roller movement. That's
assuming it's not a ball-less mouse!

It could also be a damaged cable or plug, so as a previous poster mentioned
try switching the mouse.

aD