css file seems to put robots into endless loop

Catherine Jo Morgan

      28th Mar 2004
In in an SEO class that urged me to change my site's internal links from
relative ones to absolute links. Yesterday after I changed my internal links
to absolute ones, I had Atomz do a new index of the site. I have the free
search account. What a mess!

I never looked at the index logs before so I can't tell whether or not this
same thing was happening earlier - but the Atomz robot seems to get hung up
with the external css page. It looks to my uneducated eyes as if the robot
gets caught up in a loop, cycling through the css page again and again. I'm
concerned that search engine robots will have the same problem and give up.

Atomz did finally complete the crawl, and I think the search is working ok.
But now I get two error messages in the index log, which I didn't get before
(when the links were all relative) and I'm baffled as to what's wrong or how
to fix it. The error message seems to say that the URL is too long - but of
course with css repeated 50 times (my estimate) it WOULD be too long....

Anyone know how to fix this, or where else to go to ask how to fix it? Since
the Atomz search is free, I don't see any way to get tech support beyond
what's on their site. There's nothing about this.

I'm concerned that if the Atomz robot has this much trouble crawling my
site, then search engine robots will too.

Here are the error messages:
1: 03/28 04:06:39 ERROR: HTTP error status 414 returned to page
http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
2: 03/28 04:14:57 ERROR: HTTP error status 414 returned to page
http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
/css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a timeView
the whole log Only show lines with errors.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Catherine Jo Morgan
Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:
http://radio.weblogs.com/0120691/
(E-Mail Removed)

MD Websunlimited

      28th Mar 2004
Hi Catherine,

Why did you change your relative links to abs ones? I would strongly recommend that you change them to relative links. Using
relative links have very strong advantages over abs links such as being able to place the web at any level within a web tree.

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunlimited.com

"Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a timeView
> the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz Corporation.
> All rights reserved.
>
> Catherine Jo Morgan
> Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

Thomas A. Rowe

      28th Mar 2004
Also by changing your link to absolute, FP will no longer manage any of your links if you rename or
move pages or images.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

> [...]
> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a timeView
> the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz Corporation.
> All rights reserved.
>
> Catherine Jo Morgan
> Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

Catherine Jo Morgan

      28th Mar 2004
Yes, for this reason I was very reluctant to do it, but the teacher of this
SEO class insists that without absolute links, Google page rank will be
greatly diluted.

"Thomas A. Rowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> > View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a

timeView
> > the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> > Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz

Corporation.
> > All rights reserved.
> >
> > Catherine Jo Morgan
> > Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> > online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

Thomas A. Rowe

      28th Mar 2004
I suggest that you visit and post a question at:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/

to verify what the teacher of the SEO class is stating.

> [...]

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
> > >

> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> > > View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a

> timeView
> > > the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> > > Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz

> Corporation.
> > > All rights reserved.
> > >
> > > Catherine Jo Morgan
> > > Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> > > online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

MD Websunlimited

      28th Mar 2004
Catherine,

IMHO, find a different teacher.

Go to google and select any topic, then link to a displayed web site. View the source, how many of the links are abs?

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunlimited.com

> [...]

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
> > >

> http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > >

> /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> > > View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a

> timeView
> > > the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> > > Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz

> Corporation.
> > > All rights reserved.
> > >
> > > Catherine Jo Morgan
> > > Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> > > online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

Catherine Jo Morgan

      28th Mar 2004
Thanks. I registered and posted my question there. This looks like a great
resource.

I do have a backup of course, of the site still with internal links all
relative.

> [...]

my

http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

Catherine Jo Morgan

      28th Mar 2004
I'll do some more research as you suggest.
I'm a little concerned too that at some point Google could decide that this
is an SEO spam technique. OTOH, what I've read online so far is split about
50:50 between using absolute vs. relative links for internal site links.

"MD Websunlimited" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

my

http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

Steve Easton

      28th Mar 2004
I would tend to *disagree* with your teacher.
All that accomplishes is fooling the server into thinking that every request
for a page is coming from an external source, and therefore causing the
server logs to show your own site as the top referring site.
Search engines don't scan server logs.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

> [...]

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from

http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/weld...ss/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css

/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
> > > /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
> > > View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a

> timeView
> > > the whole log Only show lines with errors.
> > > Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright 1999-2004 Atomz

> Corporation.
> > > All rights reserved.
> > >
> > > Catherine Jo Morgan
> > > Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
> > > online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:

Catherine Jo Morgan

      28th Mar 2004
Here's the teacher's theory - that if the index page isn't specified
internally the same way it is from external links into the site, then this
will dilute the hits & links that go toward page rank. She asked us to test
google listings for the domain name including www. and compare it with
google listings for the domain name without www. It's true that I get a
different list of pages each way.

But I'm stil considering about this. It's troubling me.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...