Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

The alMIGHTY N

      21st Sep 2009
On Sep 21, 1:52*pm, Memnoch
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), alMIGHTY <nathaniel.k....@gmail..com>
> wrote:
>

> >>http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...cryengine-30-s....

> >Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

> Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
sure something like that didn't happen again.

Yousuf Khan

      22nd Sep 2009
Tom wrote:
> I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am
> tired of nothing getting better on the 360 for looks) and I want RPGs
> and good RTS game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the
> DX11 coming out on ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back,
> because Nvidia will follow suit, and though typically more expensive,
> Nvidia almost always has issues solved with the driver support whereas
> ATI take too much time on newer cards.
>
> Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now
> wondering if I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't
> seem that DX11 is going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to
> come; hell, many current games still use DX9.

ATI's drivers aren't that much of a problem these days. For the most
part, both ATI's and Nvidia's drivers are just "cheat engines", where
they detect which game you're playing and they setup the video
parameters properly for each game. So there's always a new Catalyst or
Geforce driver a few months down the road that will update the support
for any problems in any particular game.

As for DirectX 11, it's only an issue if you're running Windows Vista or
Windows 7. DirectX 9 is what runs on XP and it'll never be updated.
That's why games still have a DirectX 9 mode. The features that set
DirectX 10, 10.1, and 11 apart from 9 are turned off in XP. It's much
like disabling graphics features in a game to get better game play.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      22nd Sep 2009
The alMIGHTY N wrote:
> On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Memnoch
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), alMIGHTY <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

>> Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

> I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
> sure something like that didn't happen again.

I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
break a tradition now?

Yousuf Khan

The alMIGHTY N

      22nd Sep 2009
On Sep 21, 5:21*pm, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "alMIGHTY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Sep 20, 2:13 am, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "parallax-scroll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> A little off-topic, but anyway:

> >> I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am tired
> >> of
> >> nothing getting better on the 360 for looks)

> > Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
> > than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
> > gentlemen... please!

> I was really hoping for a 2010 release as 2011 is a bit far off, so that is
> long enough for me to get a good rig now. I can understand why MS would wait
> longer as to extend their profits from their games/accessories and maybe get
> the Xbox series closer to being in the black (if if doesn't get there when
> it is all said and done). I just will wait for Windows 7 and see what Nvidia
> has for their DX11 answer. If ATI would pick up speed on how fast they get
> quality drivers released, I would go with them since they are typically
> cheaper and they arelready to release their DX11 *cards within a week or so
> from now.

I would also prefer the next console generation start next holiday
season but I know that's not happening so I'm aiming for the next
logical date. :-)

Regardless, I refuse to get back into PC gaming at the "hardcore"
level. I have much better things on which to spend my hard-earned
money. I've been getting some downloads, though, like the Monkey
Island remake, Telltale's various series, World of Goo, etc.

> >> and I want RPGs

> > It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
> > besides the DS.

> There are more RPG and RTS games on PC than on any console at this time.

The DS isn't a console... ;-)

What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

> Besides
> as they come out, the PC versions are nearly all better and you can do more
> with the PC versions as well as get the best of graphics. Hell, I may even
> do MW2 on PC if I get the PC around the time it comes out. The PC I want
> will be easily powerful (minimum of 2gigs graphics power) enough as to watch
> BR movies on my TV (if I want to anyway) and I could even play the game over
> on my big Sammy if I want.
>
> I think I finally hit the point where I just don't care about online
> shooters anymore for any console, maybe I am just burned out from playing
> them over the years and nothing seems fresh about the whole MP shooter theme
> anymore. The whole theme is just plain worn out for me and I haven't seen
> anything fresh (what could make it more fresh when it is the same thing over
> and over again shooting people, scoring points?) and then dealing with the
> trash talk and kiddies. I think the MP in Modern Warfare may have been the
> last for me and I haven't seen anything that remotely interest me (though
> B:BC was pretty damn good). I am definitely getting MW2, but I doubt I will
> play much MP as it seems to have the same set-up as MW with a few new
> weapons.
>

> >> and good RTS
> >> game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the DX11 coming out
> >> on
> >> ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back, because Nvidia will
> >> follow suit, and though typically more expensive, Nvidia almost always
> >> has
> >> issues solved with the driver support whereas ATI take too much time on
> >> newer cards.

> >> Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now wondering
> >> if
> >> I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't seem that DX11is
> >> going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to come; hell, many
> >> current games still use DX9.

The alMIGHTY N

      22nd Sep 2009
On Sep 22, 12:33*am, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The alMIGHTY N wrote:
> > On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Memnoch
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

> > I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
> > sure something like that didn't happen again.

> I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
> break a tradition now?

Tradition?

Eman

      22nd Sep 2009
On Sep 22, 10:29*am, The alMIGHTY N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

Only MMORPGs, Aion and Champions Online in the last few weeks.

The alMIGHTY N

      22nd Sep 2009
On Sep 22, 11:30*am, Eman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 10:29*am, The alMIGHTY N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

> Only MMORPGs, Aion and Champions Online in the last few weeks.

So, yeah, more but they're all MMO instead of your standard fare
single-player RPG...

YKhan

      22nd Sep 2009
On Sep 22, 11:08*am, The alMIGHTY N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 12:33*am, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The alMIGHTY N wrote:
> > > I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
> > > sure something like that didn't happen again.

> > I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
> > break a tradition now?

> Tradition?

Yes, you know the "Microsoft Tradition". A tradition of mediocrity,
and not giving a crap, and even using that as an marketing point. :-)

Yousuf Khan

GMAN

      23rd Sep 2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, YKhan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sep 22, 11:08=A0am, The alMIGHTY N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
>> > break a tradition now?

>> Tradition?

>Yes, you know the "Microsoft Tradition". A tradition of mediocrity,
>and not giving a crap, and even using that as an marketing point. :-)
>
> Yousuf Khan

Thats not a tradition by Microsoft, thats a Corporate culture.

YKhan

      25th Sep 2009
On Sep 22, 4:42*pm, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I know, but DX11 hardware will run the previous iterations of DX down to
> 9.0. But, when Windows 7 comes out, XP will be gone and I am not going to
> load an OS (XP) that been out for 8 years now. Time to move on to 7 and it
> has been getting rave reviews from some reputable sites, unlike that
> disaster called Vista..

That's of course upto you, whether you upgrade your OS or not. I'd say
if DX11 allows more work to be offloaded into the GPU, then that will
be worth it, even without any visual enhancements. Right now it looks
like AMD will be the only ones with DX11 GPUs for several months, into
next year. Nvidia spent a lot of time and effort trying to avoid DX11,
they only recently brought out a DX10.1 card, and that's for their
mobility range.

Yousuf Khan