Cryptographic Service

Mario

      9th Sep 2003
I am trying to install updates, I receive this error:
Setup could not verify the integrity of the file
update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
error?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

      9th Sep 2003
Mario wrote:

> I am trying to install updates, I receive this error:
> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file
> update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
> on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
> error?

Hi

Is this on a Windows XP computer on a Windows 2000 computer?

If it is a Windows XP computer (procedure is not for Windows 2000):

Your Cryptographic Service is most likely running fine, renaming or deleting
the Catroot2 folder is most likely what you need to do to solve the problem.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815

It describes how to check the Cryptographic Service, as well as how to rename
the Catroot2 folder.

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow the steps 6 to 8 in the Resolution
section of above link (do a reboot first so the computer is "fresh" before you
do the steps).

Then try to install the update again.

Disregard that the link above is for SP1, the Catroot2 problem is relevant for
other updates as well. The Catroot2 problem can be avoided by installing
Q817287.

Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database

torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Kathy

      9th Sep 2003
Try this site:

http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Good Luck!!!

Kathy

Steve Parry [MVP]

      9th Sep 2003
Mario wrote:
> I am trying to install updates, I receive this error:
> Setup could not verify the integrity of the file
> update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running
> on this computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
> error?

try

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281458

there's also a similar prob with Win XP that invovles renaming
the catroot2 folder in %systemroot%\system32 ... not sure but
you could try renaming the catroot folder if the above does'nt
help?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk