CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?

Jim Wood

      20th Aug 2009
My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under my
control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history,
etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under:

C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaData

I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," but
exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are the
implications of purging these files?

Ǝиçεl

      20th Aug 2009
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc700805.aspx

"Jim Wood" wrote:

> My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under my
> control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history,
> etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under:
>
> C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaData
>
> I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," but
> exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are the
> implications of purging these files?

Jon

      20th Aug 2009

"Jim Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under my
> control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies,
> history,
> etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under:
>
> C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaData
>
> I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," but
> exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are
> the
> implications of purging these files?

No major implications at all. Like all 'caches' they're just for speeding
things up slightly. Get rid of 'em if they bug you.

--
Jon

Velvet Brown

      27th Jan 2010
These are actually system level files that one cannot change or remove. They are a securely encrypted copy of your entire windows and internet browsing history on the system. Beware, even after you clear the internet cache and history in IE, netscape or firefox, a copy exists forever.

JimWoo wrote:

CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
19-Aug-09

My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under m
control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history
etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under

C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaDat

I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," bu
exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are th
implications of purging these files?

On Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:45 PM
JimWoo wrote:

CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under m
control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history
etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under

C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaDat

I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," bu
exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are th
implications of purging these files?

On Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:39 AM
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

RE: CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700805.asp

"Jim Wood" wrote:

On Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:19 AM
Jon wrote:

Re: CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
No major implications at all. Like all 'caches' they are just for speedin
things up slightly. Get rid of them if they bug you

-
Jon

Book Review: The C# Programming Language -Third Edition [Addison Wesley]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...e-c-progr.aspx

Peter Foldes

      27th Jan 2010
Another deadhead from egghead

--
Peter

<Velvet Brown> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> These are actually system level files that one cannot change or remove. They are
> a securely encrypted copy of your entire windows and internet browsing history on
> the system. Beware, even after you clear the internet cache and history in IE,
> netscape or firefox, a copy exists forever.
>

> JimWoo wrote:
>
> CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
> 19-Aug-09
>
> My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under my
> control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history,
> etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under:
>
> C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaData
>
> I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," but
> exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are the
> implications of purging these files?

> On Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:45 PM
> JimWoo wrote:
>
> CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
> My concern is leaving a 'surfing trail' on computers that are not under my
> control. IE allows one to delete user data in the form of cookies, history,
> etc., but some of the same info remains in Vista 64 under:
>
> C:/user/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/CryptnetUrlCache/Content and /MetaData
>
> I believe that these files have something to do with "Certificates," but
> exactly what is all this good information, when is it used, and what are the
> implications of purging these files?
>
> On Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:39 AM
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> RE: CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc700805.aspx
>
> "Jim Wood" wrote:
>
> On Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:19 AM
> Jon wrote:
>
> Re: CryptNetUrlCache - What is it?
> No major implications at all. Like all 'caches' they are just for speeding
> things up slightly. Get rid of them if they bug you.
>
> --
> Jon

> Book Review: The C# Programming Language -Third Edition [Addison Wesley]
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...e-c-progr.aspx

Jon

      1st Feb 2010
"Velvet Brown" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> These are actually system level files that one cannot change or remove.
> They are a securely encrypted copy of your entire windows and internet
> browsing history on the system. Beware, even after you clear the internet
> cache and history in IE, netscape or firefox, a copy exists forever.

Actually you can change, remove, or do whatever else you like with them.

--
Jon