Criteria problems in the DSUM function

=?Utf-8?B?QUE=?=

      6th Jan 2006
I have an excel sheet with three worksheets.
1. Database from which the final values is looked from ("NetData")
2. Database that provides the IDs for lookup ("Template")
3. Final sheet where the value is posted

I am performing following ways for DSUM to work
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","""AASEGNO"&"="&Template!V5&"""")
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!A1=Template!V5)
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","AASEGNO"=Template!V5)

The variable "Length" is being summed up. The criteria - NetData!L1:L2 works
where the I have manually entered what I have being trying to do in the three
other ways where I make the value NetData!L2 as to be a variable having a
value that is contained in Template sheet, the only difference is that in
first one I can only enter one value Template!V5. Can anybody help with why
the last three ways of setting up the criteria is wrong along with the
correction?

Peo Sjoblom

      6th Jan 2006
If you want to use the contents in Template!V5 to get a variable you can use
INDIRECT but how you apply it depends on what you want to type into V5, if
you want to type NetData!A1 into Template!V5 you can use

=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,INDIRECT(Template!V5),NetData!L1:L2)

if you want to type in the criteria range into Template!V5 you can use

=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",INDIRECT(Template!V5))

with NetData!L1:L2 in V5 it will return the same as in your first example

I assumed you have a header in A1, anyway INDIRECT would be the way to g

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"AA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an excel sheet with three worksheets.
> 1. Database from which the final values is looked from ("NetData")
> 2. Database that provides the IDs for lookup ("Template")
> 3. Final sheet where the value is posted
>
> I am performing following ways for DSUM to work
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","""AASEGNO"&"="&Template!V5&"""")
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!A1=Template!V5)
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","AASEGNO"=Template!V5)
>
> The variable "Length" is being summed up. The criteria - NetData!L1:L2
> works
> where the I have manually entered what I have being trying to do in the
> three
> other ways where I make the value NetData!L2 as to be a variable having a
> value that is contained in Template sheet, the only difference is that in
> first one I can only enter one value Template!V5. Can anybody help with
> why
> the last three ways of setting up the criteria is wrong along with the
> correction?

=?Utf-8?B?QUE=?=

      6th Jan 2006
Hi Peo,

It didn't answer my question. I think you got it all wrong.
The problem was not in the "LENGTH". I want to sum up the column with the
field name "LENGTH" but the problem lies in defining the criteria. I don't
know how to write a criteria that one of the field name (here "AASEGNO") is
equal to the some value from other sheet (here Template!V5). The four ways
that I was trying to get it, only the first way works because I specify the
cells NetData!L1 as AASEGNO and NetData!L2 as MTH101 which is there occurs
three times in the database NetData!A1:K313).
Can anybody help me out constructing this criteria in which one of the
variable "AASEGNO" from the database NetData!A1:K313 is equal to some other
linked cell value at Template!V5?

AA

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> If you want to use the contents in Template!V5 to get a variable you can use
> INDIRECT but how you apply it depends on what you want to type into V5, if
> you want to type NetData!A1 into Template!V5 you can use
>
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,INDIRECT(Template!V5),NetData!L1:L2)
>
> if you want to type in the criteria range into Template!V5 you can use
>
> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",INDIRECT(Template!V5))
>
> with NetData!L1:L2 in V5 it will return the same as in your first example
>
> I assumed you have a header in A1, anyway INDIRECT would be the way to g
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please)
>

> "AA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an excel sheet with three worksheets.
> > 1. Database from which the final values is looked from ("NetData")
> > 2. Database that provides the IDs for lookup ("Template")
> > 3. Final sheet where the value is posted
> >
> > I am performing following ways for DSUM to work
> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)
> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","""AASEGNO"&"="&Template!V5&"""")
> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!A1=Template!V5)
> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","AASEGNO"=Template!V5)
> >
> > The variable "Length" is being summed up. The criteria - NetData!L1:L2
> > works
> > where the I have manually entered what I have being trying to do in the
> > three
> > other ways where I make the value NetData!L2 as to be a variable having a
> > value that is contained in Template sheet, the only difference is that in
> > first one I can only enter one value Template!V5. Can anybody help with
> > why
> > the last three ways of setting up the criteria is wrong along with the
> > correction?

Peo Sjoblom

      7th Jan 2006
OK, if it would work with AASEGNO in L1 and criteria in L2 you want to know
how you can replace the criteria
and use V5 instead? If so leave L1 blank (yes blank) and put a formula in L2

=B2=Template!$V$5

where B2 is the first data cell in the column with header AASEGNO, note that
you need to use relative reference for B2 and absolute for the criteria in
the template sheet

--
> [...]

>> > I am performing following ways for DSUM to work
>> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)
>> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","""AASEGNO"&"="&Template!V5&"""")
>> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!A1=Template!V5)
>> > =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","AASEGNO"=Template!V5)
>> >
>> > The variable "Length" is being summed up. The criteria - NetData!L1:L2
>> > works
>> > where the I have manually entered what I have being trying to do in the
>> > three
>> > other ways where I make the value NetData!L2 as to be a variable having
>> > value that is contained in Template sheet, the only difference is that
>> > in
>> > first one I can only enter one value Template!V5. Can anybody help with
>> > why
>> > the last three ways of setting up the criteria is wrong along with the

=?Utf-8?B?QUE=?=

      7th Jan 2006
Dude I don't think it really answered my question.
I'll try to explain again:
If I have the value in cell NetData!L1 as AASEGNO and NetData!L2 as
=Template!V5
then in cell say Junk!A5 I can write the value be equal to following
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)

Now in cell Junk!A6 I want something I do the same formula value
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2) but now the criteria should
be differently coded. So I want the value in NetData!L1 as AASEGNO (same as
previous) but in NetData!L2 as =Template!V6 (note the change from V5 to V6).

The way in which you are suggesting would not work.
I would re-phrase my question again:
How should I specify the criteria in a DSUM function in a case explained as
above?
This should be prettly explanable from the ways I have been struggling as
follows:
Case 1: Works Fine
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!L1:L2)
Cases 2, 3 and 4: Doesn't work at all
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","""AASEGNO"&"="&Template!V5&"""")
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",NetData!A1=Template!V5)
=DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH","AASEGNO"=Template!V5)

Why is that I can't specify the criteria as in cases 2, 3 and 4 above? There
got to be some point that I am missing?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> OK, if it would work with AASEGNO in L1 and criteria in L2 you want to know
> how you can replace the criteria
> and use V5 instead? If so leave L1 blank (yes blank) and put a formula in L2
>
> =B2=Template!$V$5
>
> where B2 is the first data cell in the column with header AASEGNO, note that
> you need to use relative reference for B2 and absolute for the criteria in
> the template sheet
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please)
>

> "AA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Peo,
> >
> > It didn't answer my question. I think you got it all wrong.
> > The problem was not in the "LENGTH". I want to sum up the column with the
> > field name "LENGTH" but the problem lies in defining the criteria. I don't
> > know how to write a criteria that one of the field name (here "AASEGNO")
> > is
> > equal to the some value from other sheet (here Template!V5). The four ways
> > that I was trying to get it, only the first way works because I specify
> > the
> > cells NetData!L1 as AASEGNO and NetData!L2 as MTH101 which is there occurs
> > three times in the database NetData!A1:K313).
> > Can anybody help me out constructing this criteria in which one of the
> > variable "AASEGNO" from the database NetData!A1:K313 is equal to some
> > other
> > linked cell value at Template!V5?
> >
> > AA
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> >
> >> If you want to use the contents in Template!V5 to get a variable you can
> >> use
> >> INDIRECT but how you apply it depends on what you want to type into V5,
> >> if
> >> you want to type NetData!A1 into Template!V5 you can use
> >>
> >> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,INDIRECT(Template!V5),NetData!L1:L2)
> >>
> >> if you want to type in the criteria range into Template!V5 you can use
> >>
> >> =DSUM(NetData!A1:K313,"LENGTH",INDIRECT(Template!V5))
> >>
> >> with NetData!L1:L2 in V5 it will return the same as in your first example
> >>
> >> I assumed you have a header in A1, anyway INDIRECT would be the way to g
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Peo Sjoblom
> >>
> >> (No private emails please)
> >>

> >> "AA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?QUE=?=

      10th Jan 2006
I am still waiting for somebody to provide a solution to the criteria in DSUM
function. Can somebody please help?