Creating Shortcuts from the command prompt!

Tom Bombadill

      14th Nov 2003
Is there a way to create shortcuts and place them in a particular location
from the command prompt? I'd want to put that in a batch file I'd like to
create.

Thanks,

Dean Wells [MVP]

      14th Nov 2003
Tom Bombadill wrote:
> Is there a way to create shortcuts and place them in a particular
> location from the command prompt? I'd want to put that in a batch
> file I'd like to create.
>
> Thanks,

Couple of ways I know of, this one has worked well for me -

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...s_wsh_aytf.asp

Dean

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Windows platform]
MSEtechnology

Matthias Tacke

      14th Nov 2003
"Tom Bombadill" wrote:

>Is there a way to create shortcuts and place them in a particular location
>from the command prompt? I'd want to put that in a batch file I'd like to
>create.
>
>Thanks,

I once downloaded makescut.exe. Here is the helpscreen with a link:

F:\WINNT>makescut /?

MAKESCUT.EXE 1.02
Copyright (C)1999-2000 Inteletek, Inc.
www.scriptlogic.com

MakeScut is a 32-bit command-line utility that creates shortcut files
(.LNK or .PIF) for Windows 9x/NT applications.
Usage: MAKESCUT /n "filespec"[.lnk/.prf] /t "filespec"
[/a "args"] [/s "folder"]

[/i "file" index] [/r min/max] [/o] [/k [CTRL+][ALT+][SHIFT+]key]

/n Filespec of shortcut that will be created. MakeScut will
automatically create the proper type of shortcut, .lnk
or .pif, based on whether the target application is a
Windows or MS-DOS application.
example: c:\windows\desktop\myshortcut.
/t Filespec of the target application.
/a Command-line arguments to the target application.
If there is more than one paramater be sure to enclose the
list of paramaters in quotes.
/i Filespec and index of the icon for the shortcut.
/s Working Directory
/r Run window
/o Overwrite existing shortcut of the same name.
/k Shortcut key. example: CTRL+ALT+U.

hth
--
Greetings
Matthias________________________________________

Matthias Tacke

      14th Nov 2003
"Matthias Tacke" wrote:

>"Tom Bombadill" wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to create shortcuts and place them in a particular location
>>from the command prompt? I'd want to put that in a batch file I'd like to
>>create.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

>I once downloaded makescut.exe. Here is the helpscreen with a link:
>
>F:\WINNT>makescut /?
>
>MAKESCUT.EXE 1.02
>Copyright (C)1999-2000 Inteletek, Inc.
>www.scriptlogic.com

Found a link on the site claiming it is free.

http://www.scriptlogic.com/eng/produ...iptingtoolkit/

--
Greetings
Matthias________________________________________
For help on nt commands enter in a cmd window:
W2K>HH windows.chm::ntcmds.htm XP>HH ntcmds.chm

Dave Patrick

      15th Nov 2003
Also check out Marty List's cool tool shortcut.exe
http://www.optimumx.com/download/

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

"Tom Bombadill" wrote:
> Is there a way to create shortcuts and place them in a particular location
> from the command prompt? I'd want to put that in a batch file I'd like to
> create.
>
> Thanks,

Mark V

      15th Nov 2003
In microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin Dave Patrick wrote:

> Also check out Marty List's cool tool shortcut.exe
> http://www.optimumx.com/download/

OP,
Marty's util. endorsed here FWIW. Note that the syntax is different
than the old MS utility of the same name.

But do not neglect that you might just COPY a pre-existing .LNK file
from source to destination.