Create carriage-return in Notepad using replace

anthonyroh@gmail.com

      28th Dec 2006
Can anyone tell me how to create carriage returns in a Notepad
document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for every
comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.

Graham Mayor

      28th Dec 2006
There is no 'carriage' to return in a word processor. Pressing the enter key
(^p in the replace dialog) creates a new paragraph. Shift enter (^l) creates
a new line within a paragraph.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to create carriage returns in a Notepad
> document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for every
> comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.

anthonyroh@gmail.com

      28th Dec 2006
Hey Graham,
Thanks, I realized I put this into the wrong group. I am trying to
make a script easier to read using Notepad. I know there is a command
out there using the Edit\Replace to substitute commas with a carriage
return to make everything with a comma on a new line.

Sorry if I was confusing, but thanks for responding. Any thoughts
using Notepad?

Graham Mayor wrote:
> There is no 'carriage' to return in a word processor. Pressing the enter key
> (^p in the replace dialog) creates a new paragraph. Shift enter (^l) creates
> a new line within a paragraph.
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me how to create carriage returns in a Notepad
> > document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for every
> > comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.

Graham Mayor

      29th Dec 2006
You'll need to use a more capable text editor, such as Word or maybe
UltraEdit.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hey Graham,
> Thanks, I realized I put this into the wrong group. I am trying to
> make a script easier to read using Notepad. I know there is a command
> out there using the Edit\Replace to substitute commas with a carriage
> return to make everything with a comma on a new line.
>
> Sorry if I was confusing, but thanks for responding. Any thoughts
> using Notepad?
>

> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> There is no 'carriage' to return in a word processor. Pressing the
>> enter key (^p in the replace dialog) creates a new paragraph. Shift
>> enter (^l) creates a new line within a paragraph.
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me how to create carriage returns in a Notepad
>>> document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for
>>> every comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.

New Member

      23rd Jun 2009
You can search and replace by CR in Notepad (works for CSV purposes) by:

- Firing up Excel, and typing Alt-Enter in a cell to enter a CR
- Saving this file as CSV
- Opening this CSV in Notepad - the CR will be shown as a blank square
- Copy this square and paste it into Replace
- When replace is done, CR will be there, and can be interpreted (though not with Notepad - but Wordpad will do it, so will Excel...)

Petar

New Member

      27th Oct 2011
There are a couple of solutions. This requires a text editor with more features than Notepad, preferably "regular expressions".
1) Get a free download of Notepad++. After pasting your text into a new file window, select Search / Replace from the menu. Put a comma in the "Find what:" box, and the following in the "Replace with:" box: \n

NOTE: You must select the radio button at the bottom left of the replace popup for "Regular expression". The above will execute a regular expression to replace all commas with a carriage return.

2) The same thing can be done with Edit Pad Pro, Ultraedit, etc. Another idea is to view the file in hexadecimal code (Editpad Pro should be able to do this), do a find for the hex value of a comma (2C), and do a "replace all" with the hex value of a carriage return (0D).

Greg Burdett

New Member

      15th Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E-Mail Removed) View Post
Can anyone tell me how to create carriage returns in a Notepad
document? Using from the Edit Menu, Replace? for example, for every
comma it detects a carriage return on the comma.
Hey Tony,
You may do the following to get it the way you want.
Replace " , " with " <br> " and then, save as with an " .html " extension.
Open the html file in the browser, You'll get it the way you want. Copy the text from there, and paste it back to the notepad, saving it as a text file.