CPU temperature monitor

Terry

      13th Aug 2007
I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
than the bios.

How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

peter

      13th Aug 2007
They read the actual diode on the mobo directly..and they read the temp.
diode on/in the CPU itself if available.
The P4 chips do run a little hotter than the average chip...but 60 is still
a little warmer than comfortable....low 50's would be better.
Even back in 2003 when it came out reviewers where saying it needed better
cooling than the stock Intel unit it came with.
what does speedfan say????

peter

"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
> than the bios.
>
> How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

Linux Geek

      13th Aug 2007
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:54:47 -0700, Terry wrote:

> I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
> than the bios.
>
> How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

It does get it's reading from the BIOS. However you must ensure that the
correct chip is selected by the monitoring software. If the correct chip
is not selected, the readings will be erroneous.

Linux Geek

Saying that XP is the most stable MS OS is like saying that
asparagus is the most articulate vegetable. (Dave Barry)

Terry

      13th Aug 2007
On Aug 12, 7:58 pm, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> They read the actual diode on the mobo directly..and they read the temp.
> diode on/in the CPU itself if available.
> The P4 chips do run a little hotter than the average chip...but 60 is still
> a little warmer than comfortable....low 50's would be better.
> Even back in 2003 when it came out reviewers where saying it needed better
> cooling than the stock Intel unit it came with.
> what does speedfan say????
>
> peter
>
> "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
> > than the bios.

> > How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios

Speed fan reports much lower temperatures.

Here is a screenshot. I am not sure what all the temps are yet.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4yrfvhl

I guess I am going to install the Nvidia 6800GT and find out what hot
really is.

Thanks

Franc Zabkar

      15th Aug 2007
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:54:47 -0700, Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
>than the bios.
>
>How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

SpeedFan and the BIOS both get their readings from a hardware monitor
chip which has several inputs including temperature sensors (either
diode or thermistor), voltages, and fan tachos.

SF may report a lower temperature than the BIOS (mine does this)
because the OS may be cooling the CPU using Cool'n'Quiet, or PowerNow,
or SpeedStep, or a utility such as CPUidle.

- Franc Zabkar