Count if cell contains a comma

Fred Smith

      8th Dec 2003
I want to count the cells which contain a comma. Is it possible to do
something like:

=COUNTIF(B2:B53,FIND(",",B2:B53)>0)

--
Thanks,
Fred

bdcrisp

      8th Dec 2003

=COUNTIF(B2:B300,",")

Try this out

Ron Rosenfeld

      8th Dec 2003
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:02:29 -0600, "Fred Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to count the cells which contain a comma. Is it possible to do
>something like:
>
>=COUNTIF(B2:B53,FIND(",",B2:B53)>0)

=COUNTIF(B2:B53,"*,*")

--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

      8th Dec 2003
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:02:29 -0600, "Fred Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to count the cells which contain a comma. Is it possible to do
>something like:
>
>=COUNTIF(B2:B53,FIND(",",B2:B53)>0)

Note that my reply only works for text fields that contain commas. It will not
work for numeric fields that are formatted to show a comma.

--ron

Fred Smith

      9th Dec 2003
Hi Ron,

This is exactly what I was looking for. I want to search text fields, not
formatted numbers.

Just in case Microsoft monitors this group, Help could be improved because I
checked on the definition of "criteria" but never found that you could use
wild cards in them. It would have been a reasonable guess, but it's too easy
to post a question to the group.

--
Regards,
Fred