Corrupted isass.exe

James

      5th Mar 2010
Hello NG,

Last week I had a power outage when I was using my desktop,
and when I tried to restart my computer I kept getting error messages
that Windows had encounters a problem and was shutting down to protect my
system.

After a couple of attempts to reboot I got an error message saying something
about my password not being correct, it apparently is a corrupted isass.exe
file.

This is an HP desktop and the setup disks are on a D:\ partition,
so during one of my attempts to reboot I selected the recovery console and
tried to recover that way, still no luck.
I do have a set of early XP disks from when I bought a laptop several years
ago, so I tried to reinstall from the disks.

I tried to reinstall and I tried to repair, both give me the same error
saying that my isass.exe.
I have tried to create a bootable DVD and boot from my DVD Drive,
all I get is a continuous loop of error messages saying that XP has
encountered an error and is shutting down or sends me back to the initial
boot screen.

When I bought this computer I never put in a password, since it is at home I
didn't feel the need.
How can a password file become corrupted when I never used a password.
I have also tried just hitting enter (blank password) and that gives me the
same error.
I have tried every password I might have ever used thinking I might have
forgotten, no luck.

Thanks
James

David H. Lipman

      5th Mar 2010

From: "James" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hello NG,

| Last week I had a power outage when I was using my desktop,
| and when I tried to restart my computer I kept getting error messages
| that Windows had encounters a problem and was shutting down to protect my
| system.

| After a couple of attempts to reboot I got an error message saying something
| about my password not being correct, it apparently is a corrupted isass.exe
| file.

| This is an HP desktop and the setup disks are on a D:\ partition,
| so during one of my attempts to reboot I selected the recovery console and
| tried to recover that way, still no luck.
| I do have a set of early XP disks from when I bought a laptop several years
| ago, so I tried to reinstall from the disks.

| I tried to reinstall and I tried to repair, both give me the same error
| saying that my isass.exe.
| I have tried to create a bootable DVD and boot from my DVD Drive,
| all I get is a continuous loop of error messages saying that XP has
| encountered an error and is shutting down or sends me back to the initial
| boot screen.

| When I bought this computer I never put in a password, since it is at home I
| didn't feel the need.
| How can a password file become corrupted when I never used a password.
| I have also tried just hitting enter (blank password) and that gives me the
| same error.
| I have tried every password I might have ever used thinking I might have
| forgotten, no luck.

| Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks
| James

ISASS.EXE -- isass.exe

or

LSASS.EXE -- lsass.exe

There IS a difference !

--
Dave

James

      6th Mar 2010
Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
James

news:uI50qz$(E-Mail Removed)...

David H. Lipman

      6th Mar 2010
From: "James" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
| James

You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with an "I" not a "L")
then you are most likely infected with malware !

--
Dave

James

      6th Mar 2010

How would I determine which one is which?
If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me to go
by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in question?

James

news:#KL$(E-Mail Removed)...
> From: "James" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
> | James
>
> You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with
> an "I" not a "L")
> then you are most likely infected with malware !
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Jim

      6th Mar 2010

> How would I determine which one is which?
> If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me to go
> by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in question?
>
> James

> news:#KL$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From: "James" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> | Since all the letters are lower case then I believe it is issas.exe
>> | James
>>
>> You should not assume, you need to know because if it is ISASS.EXE (with
>> an "I" not a "L")
>> then you are most likely infected with malware !
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious name.

Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l. And
surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L. In
fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you are in a hurry.

Jim

Jim

David H. Lipman

      6th Mar 2010
From: "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
| explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious name.

| Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l. And
| surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L. In
| fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you are in a hurry.

| Jim

Uppercase and lowercase filenames are the same as the MS Windows OS' does not
differentiate filenames by their case.
LL.TXT = ll.txt = LL.txt = Ll.TxT, etc.

This is unlike the 'Nix type operating systems where the file; LL.TXT <> ll.txt <> LL.txt
<> Ll.TxT, etc.

The reason a malware author chooses the name ISASS.EXE is for the very nature of what is
happening in this thread -- confusion.

Malware authors obfuscate their malicious intent by naming files close to the name of
legitimate files such that they appear to be legitimate files by the use of a font that
makes differentiating certain characters difficult. I <> l <> 1

For all I know you may say this thread is full of sh!t. { Get the idea }

--
Dave

David H. Lipman

      6th Mar 2010
From: "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| The name of the program on my system is all lowercase in both windows
| explorer and task manager. Any uppercase letters are a suspicious name.

| Surely you can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l. And
| surely you can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L. In
| fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you are in a hurry.

| Jim

Uppercase and lowercase filenames are the same as the MS Windows OS' does not
differentiate filenames by their case.
LL.TXT = ll.txt = LL.txt = Ll.TxT, etc.

This is unlike the 'Nix type operating systems where the file; LL.TXT <> ll.txt <> LL.txt
<> Ll.TxT, etc.

The reason a malware author chooses the name ISASS.EXE is for the very nature of what is
happening in this thread -- confusion.

Malware authors obfuscate their malicious intent by naming files close to the name of
legitimate files such that they appear to be legitimate files by the use of a font that
makes differentiating certain characters difficult. I <> l <> 1

--
Dave

FromTheRafters

      7th Mar 2010
> How would I determine which one is which?
> If a lower case l looks like and upper case I, and you don't want me
> to go by the rest of the letters, how do I determine the letter in
> question?

Copy/paste (the name) into notepad and then Iook at it in a different
font.

James

      8th Mar 2010
Jim
Yes I can tell the difference between lowercase i and lowercase l.
And yes I can tell the difference between uppercase I and uppercase L.

In your next line " In fact, lowercase l only looks like uppercase I if you
are in a hurry."
So I copied and pasted the two letters in question, here they are ( l , I )
How can you tell the difference between the two letters?
They look exactly the same to me.

James