Corrupted Inbox file? Reported Error (0x80042110) Article 299496

=?Utf-8?B?UG9ydE1ncg==?=

      29th Jul 2007
Busy board - my question has been buried. I'm reposting the last thread
(below) in the hopes that someone can help? THANKS!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, but perhaps I wasn't clear?? I already HAVE a .pst file.
It was the MSFT fix article (299496) that said to look for a .dbx file. So
may question still is, how do I fix my problem (see error code)? As the
article suggests, do I rename the .pst file (say, Outlook.old) then restart
Outlook? And, then, how do I get my inbox data back from Outlook.old? Do I
simple import the data from the .old into the new .pst file???

Perhaps there's a fix article for Outlook (not Express)?

Thanks !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Diane Poremsky" wrote:

> dbx is for outlook express, not outlook.
>
> change the file name to something that ends in .pst and open it using file,
> open...
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

"PortMgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Started receiving the following error in Outlook:

Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042110) : 'Your
POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages
returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned
by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet services
provider.'

Article 299496 seems to describe the problem (corrupted inbox) and a
solution, but... Article says to find "Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx." I do not
have either of these files - my mail seems to reside in the file,
C:/windows/Outlook.pst.

Also, article doesn't tell (after I've changed the file name) to get back
my data/mail???

Thanks!!!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9jZWx5biBGaW9yZWxsbyBbTVZQIC0gT3V0bG9v

      29th Jul 2007
Do you leave copies of some or all of your mail on your mail server after
downloading it to Outlook? If so, one of the messages on the server might be
corrupt. Go to the mail server through its webmail client and see if you can
find any messages from around the time the problem started...delete or move
them and then see if Outlook can receive again.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

"PortMgr" wrote:

> Busy board - my question has been buried. I'm reposting the last thread
> (below) in the hopes that someone can help? THANKS!!!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Thank you, but perhaps I wasn't clear?? I already HAVE a .pst file.
> It was the MSFT fix article (299496) that said to look for a .dbx file. So
> may question still is, how do I fix my problem (see error code)? As the
> article suggests, do I rename the .pst file (say, Outlook.old) then restart
> Outlook? And, then, how do I get my inbox data back from Outlook.old? Do I
> simple import the data from the .old into the new .pst file???
>
> Perhaps there's a fix article for Outlook (not Express)?
>
> Thanks !!!
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Diane Poremsky" wrote:
>
> > dbx is for outlook express, not outlook.
> >
> > change the file name to something that ends in .pst and open it using file,
> > open...
> >
> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> > Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> > Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
> >
> > Outlook Tips by email:
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> > Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >

> "PortMgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Started receiving the following error in Outlook:
>
> Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042110) : 'Your
> POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages
> returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned
> by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet services
> provider.'
>
> Article 299496 seems to describe the problem (corrupted inbox) and a
> solution, but... Article says to find "Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx." I do not
> have either of these files - my mail seems to reside in the file,
> C:/windows/Outlook.pst.
>
> Also, article doesn't tell (after I've changed the file name) to get back
> my data/mail???
>
> Thanks!!!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?TGFkeWhvcnNlNw==?=

      10th Aug 2007
After spending endless time on with tier 2 support from AT&T for this
problem, you are the one who solved it.

AT&T kept telling me it was a corrupt Outlook file, but after taking all the
steps to make sure that it was not, they would not consider that something on
the server side was the problem. I had explained that I was getting this
error on both my laptop & desktop--one is running Outlook 2003 & the other is
2007--so how could 2 separate computers have the same error?

I moved all of my web mail to a "keep" folder and now I can receive in
Outlook again. Why didn't level 2 support know about this and how can they be
informed to assist others with this problem? I informed by them that I should
just use their web mail interface. How is that for audacity?

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> [...]

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Started receiving the following error in Outlook:
> >
> > Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042110) : 'Your
> > POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages
> > returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned
> > by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet services
> > provider.'
> >
> > Article 299496 seems to describe the problem (corrupted inbox) and a
> > solution, but... Article says to find "Inbox.mbx or Inbox.dbx." I do not
> > have either of these files - my mail seems to reside in the file,
> > C:/windows/Outlook.pst.
> >
> > Also, article doesn't tell (after I've changed the file name) to get back
> > my data/mail???
> >
> > Thanks!!!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9jZWx5biBGaW9yZWxsbyBbTVZQIC0gT3V0bG9v

      11th Aug 2007
Perhaps they never use their own software. Sadly that seems to be very
common with help desk folks (I used to work for a software company and nobody
seemed to have the time to train us to use our own product properly). We
Outlook MVPs (and many others who answer questions here) actually use the
product, find our own bugs, and learn from what others have found. It helps
:-)

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook