PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Corrupt files-use that drive as a back-up?

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?bW9tbWEgZGVi?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Aug 2006
I have Windows XP Pro and it won't start up. I got an error message that
there was a corrupt file. It would stop booting while loading windows
drivers I think. So I had a bright idea but really know nothing about this
stuff. I had a computer at work that runs windows 2000 and would like to
install the hard drive with xp as a back-up and get acces to the files on it
since most stuff is not backed up. I messed with it for a little while, but
when both drives are hooked up and I try to start 2000 I get an error
message. Is there any way I can get this to work. As I said I know nothing
aboutthis kind of stuff and any help or suggestions would be appreciated,
especially if I can get back the files on the drive with xp. Thanks so much
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?bW9tbWEgZGVi?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Aug 2006
Just an added note-if I could at least force the system using XP to the c
prompt and skip the windows startup all together I could at least copy the
files I need and transfer them. Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Aug 2006
momma deb wrote:

> I have Windows XP Pro and it won't start up. I got an error message that
> there was a corrupt file. It would stop booting while loading windows
> drivers I think. So I had a bright idea but really know nothing about
> this
> stuff. I had a computer at work that runs windows 2000 and would like to
> install the hard drive with xp as a back-up and get acces to the files on
> it
> since most stuff is not backed up. I messed with it for a little while,
> but when both drives are hooked up and I try to start 2000 I get an error
> message. Is there any way I can get this to work. As I said I know
> nothing aboutthis kind of stuff and any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated,
> especially if I can get back the files on the drive with xp. Thanks so
> much


You need to post back with the exact error message from the XP boot. It is
completely possible to back up your data without getting into Windows.
Since you only have a Win2k box and it won't boot with the slave (what is
the error message - exact text?), you could use a Bart's PE or Knoppix.

I'm happy to give you details about that, but we need to know the error
messages from both the XP bootup and from what happens when you slave the
XP drive in the Win2k box first.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Keenan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Aug 2006
"momma deb" <momma http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows XP Pro and it won't start up. I got an error message that
> there was a corrupt file. It would stop booting while loading windows
> drivers I think. So I had a bright idea but really know nothing about
> this
> stuff. I had a computer at work that runs windows 2000 and would like to
> install the hard drive with xp as a back-up and get acces to the files on
> it
> since most stuff is not backed up. I messed with it for a little while,
> but
> when both drives are hooked up and I try to start 2000 I get an error
> message. Is there any way I can get this to work. As I said I know
> nothing
> aboutthis kind of stuff and any help or suggestions would be appreciated,
> especially if I can get back the files on the drive with xp. Thanks so
> much


You should certainly be able to get access to the drive from a running Win2K
install, and back up your data to another drive.

What is the error message? You may simply have the drive jumpers set
incorrectly. These must be set correctly, usually either Cable Select with
the boot disk at the end of the cable or as Master and Slave with the boot
drive as Master if they are both on one IDE channel. Set properly, both
drives should be detected in the BIOS and the system should start right up.

You can also use a USB drive case to get access to the drive without having
to open the W2K case. These aren't expensive, and are useful things to
have around. Usually, the drive is set to Master, but it varies with
case/drive combinations. No extra drivers will be needed. Just install
the drive in the case, plug in the power, and plug in the USB cable.
Note that if the W2K system does not have USB 2.0 hardware, transfer will be
slower - but will work.

For example and illustration,
http://www.cooldrives.com/usbenclosures.html


This is also available without the case, as a cable and power supply. I
use this as part of my toolkit now, and it works great.
http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=149


I would suggest not getting an enclosure with both USB and Firewire. These
cost more and I haven't found them to be durable. You don't need anything
fancy. You don't need to pay more than about US$30.

If the corrupt file was one of the registry files, this is pretty
straightforward to fix from the recovery console. You can also do it while
the drive is hosted on the W2K system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

HTH
-pk



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?bW9tbWEgZGVi?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Aug 2006
Thanks so much for you answers. I think I will try using the cable and power
supply approach first. If I understand correctly I just plug it in and it
will turn the drive running xp into basically a portable drive much like a
Jump Drive? This would be great as I am not too concerned about preserving
XP just the files. And I WILL learn to backup regularly, I swear Thanks
again, Debbie

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "momma deb" <momma (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have Windows XP Pro and it won't start up. I got an error message that
> > there was a corrupt file. It would stop booting while loading windows
> > drivers I think. So I had a bright idea but really know nothing about
> > this
> > stuff. I had a computer at work that runs windows 2000 and would like to
> > install the hard drive with xp as a back-up and get acces to the files on
> > it
> > since most stuff is not backed up. I messed with it for a little while,
> > but
> > when both drives are hooked up and I try to start 2000 I get an error
> > message. Is there any way I can get this to work. As I said I know
> > nothing
> > aboutthis kind of stuff and any help or suggestions would be appreciated,
> > especially if I can get back the files on the drive with xp. Thanks so
> > much

>
> You should certainly be able to get access to the drive from a running Win2K
> install, and back up your data to another drive.
>
> What is the error message? You may simply have the drive jumpers set
> incorrectly. These must be set correctly, usually either Cable Select with
> the boot disk at the end of the cable or as Master and Slave with the boot
> drive as Master if they are both on one IDE channel. Set properly, both
> drives should be detected in the BIOS and the system should start right up.
>
> You can also use a USB drive case to get access to the drive without having
> to open the W2K case. These aren't expensive, and are useful things to
> have around. Usually, the drive is set to Master, but it varies with
> case/drive combinations. No extra drivers will be needed. Just install
> the drive in the case, plug in the power, and plug in the USB cable.
> Note that if the W2K system does not have USB 2.0 hardware, transfer will be
> slower - but will work.
>
> For example and illustration,
> http://www.cooldrives.com/usbenclosures.html
>
>
> This is also available without the case, as a cable and power supply. I
> use this as part of my toolkit now, and it works great.
> http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=149
>
>
> I would suggest not getting an enclosure with both USB and Firewire. These
> cost more and I haven't found them to be durable. You don't need anything
> fancy. You don't need to pay more than about US$30.
>
> If the corrupt file was one of the registry files, this is pretty
> straightforward to fix from the recovery console. You can also do it while
> the drive is hosted on the W2K system.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/
>
> HTH
> -pk
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Keenan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Aug 2006
"momma deb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks so much for you answers. I think I will try using the cable and
> power
> supply approach first. If I understand correctly I just plug it in and it
> will turn the drive running xp into basically a portable drive much like a
> Jump Drive?



Basically, yes. XP or Windows 2000 will see it as a normal drive, and you
don't have to open the case. The only issue is getting the jumper setting
correct, and that's a quick and easy change to make. Just disconnect and
power down the drive before making changes.

HTH
-pk

> This would be great as I am not too concerned about preserving
> XP just the files. And I WILL learn to backup regularly, I swear Thanks
> again, Debbie
>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>
>> "momma deb" <momma (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have Windows XP Pro and it won't start up. I got an error message
>> >that
>> > there was a corrupt file. It would stop booting while loading windows
>> > drivers I think. So I had a bright idea but really know nothing about
>> > this
>> > stuff. I had a computer at work that runs windows 2000 and would like
>> > to
>> > install the hard drive with xp as a back-up and get acces to the files
>> > on
>> > it
>> > since most stuff is not backed up. I messed with it for a little
>> > while,
>> > but
>> > when both drives are hooked up and I try to start 2000 I get an error
>> > message. Is there any way I can get this to work. As I said I know
>> > nothing
>> > aboutthis kind of stuff and any help or suggestions would be
>> > appreciated,
>> > especially if I can get back the files on the drive with xp. Thanks so
>> > much

>>
>> You should certainly be able to get access to the drive from a running
>> Win2K
>> install, and back up your data to another drive.
>>
>> What is the error message? You may simply have the drive jumpers set
>> incorrectly. These must be set correctly, usually either Cable Select
>> with
>> the boot disk at the end of the cable or as Master and Slave with the
>> boot
>> drive as Master if they are both on one IDE channel. Set properly, both
>> drives should be detected in the BIOS and the system should start right
>> up.
>>
>> You can also use a USB drive case to get access to the drive without
>> having
>> to open the W2K case. These aren't expensive, and are useful things to
>> have around. Usually, the drive is set to Master, but it varies with
>> case/drive combinations. No extra drivers will be needed. Just
>> install
>> the drive in the case, plug in the power, and plug in the USB cable.
>> Note that if the W2K system does not have USB 2.0 hardware, transfer will
>> be
>> slower - but will work.
>>
>> For example and illustration,
>> http://www.cooldrives.com/usbenclosures.html
>>
>>
>> This is also available without the case, as a cable and power supply. I
>> use this as part of my toolkit now, and it works great.
>> http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=149
>>
>>
>> I would suggest not getting an enclosure with both USB and Firewire.
>> These
>> cost more and I haven't found them to be durable. You don't need
>> anything
>> fancy. You don't need to pay more than about US$30.
>>
>> If the corrupt file was one of the registry files, this is pretty
>> straightforward to fix from the recovery console. You can also do it
>> while
>> the drive is hosted on the W2K system.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk
>>
>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can corrupt AD cause TCP/IP on WinXP Pro Clients to repeatedly Corrupt? stc13 Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory 1 21st Jun 2004 11:25 AM
corrupt registry replaces corrupt registry mark | r Windows XP General 3 20th Apr 2004 02:28 PM
are start-up disks made from corrupt win2k corrupt themselves? jay Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup 4 12th Mar 2004 02:13 PM
Windows - Corrupt File File or directory C:Windows\inf is corrupt =?Utf-8?B?SmltQQ==?= Windows XP Help 1 27th Jan 2004 01:31 AM
Corrupt file is missing or corrupt??? after attempted boot Roger L Windows XP General 1 22nd Dec 2003 04:02 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:29 AM.