Correct missing fixed font, missing registry data

Mark Kraft

      7th Jul 2003
Hi,

I have posted on this at least twice in last two weeks regarding my
application not using the system fixed font and how to correct this problem.
The application runs correctly under XP Pro but not XPe. I was finally able
to track down the problem. There are at least two registry entries missing.
I am surprised these are missing since they appear to be critical if an
application uses these stock fonts. It is not enought that they are in the
font directory.

Where I now need help is modifying the vgafix_fon component of Windows to
add the registry data. How can I modify this component? Or do I create a new
component?

I added both entries, so I am not yet sure if both are needed to correct the
problem. I added them manually to the registry to get the application to use
the correct font. The registry entries are:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware
Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts]
"FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
"FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
"OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
"FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
"FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
"OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"

Thanks

--
Mark Kraft
Design Engineer

Brad Combs

      7th Jul 2003
Mark,

It will be easier to create your own component, and I'm sure that if the
registry entries are in fact missing the guys at MS can file a bug for you.
HTH,

Brad Combs
Imago Technologies

"Mark Kraft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have posted on this at least twice in last two weeks regarding my
> application not using the system fixed font and how to correct this

problem.
> The application runs correctly under XP Pro but not XPe. I was finally

able
> to track down the problem. There are at least two registry entries

missing.
> I am surprised these are missing since they appear to be critical if an
> application uses these stock fonts. It is not enought that they are in the
> font directory.
>
> Where I now need help is modifying the vgafix_fon component of Windows to
> add the registry data. How can I modify this component? Or do I create a

new
> component?
>
> I added both entries, so I am not yet sure if both are needed to correct

the
> problem. I added them manually to the registry to get the application to

use
> the correct font. The registry entries are:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware
> Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts]
> "FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
> "FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
> "OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
> "FONTS.FON"="VGASYS.FON"
> "FIXEDFON.FON"="VGAFIX.FON"
> "OEMFONT.FON"="VGAOEM.FON"
>

> Thanks
>
> --
> Mark Kraft
> Design Engineer
> Lehigh Electric Products Co.
> Tel: 610-395-3386
> Fax: 610-395-7735
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> website: www.lehighdim.com

David Reed \(MS\)

      9th Jul 2003
I'll take Brad's challenge, and raise the ante a bit.

Fonts have been a difficult issue in XP Embedded; I build
runtime images too. I have wanted to publish a font
related whitepaper for sometime, and will work to get one
out later this year.

David