Copying files to another drive

Charles L. Phillips

      19th Nov 2005

Hello,
I have a folder containing several files. I have 3 drives, C:\, D:\ & G:\
(Zip).
The Zip drive copies the folder at a certain of the day.
I want to do an XCOPY /V of the same folder, from the C:\ drive to the D:\
drive. I want the process to take place everyday during the week (no
weekends) at a specific time of the day. Then I want a message to "flash",
"XCOPY Of "filename" Completed at "time"...
Can/will someone direct me to a tutorial of this nature???

Thank you,
--
Charles L. Phillips

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      19th Nov 2005

"Charles L. Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
> I have a folder containing several files. I have 3 drives, C:\, D:\ & G:\
> (Zip).
> The Zip drive copies the folder at a certain of the day.
> I want to do an XCOPY /V of the same folder, from the C:\ drive to the D:\
> drive. I want the process to take place everyday during the week (no
> weekends) at a specific time of the day. Then I want a message to "flash",
> "XCOPY Of "filename" Completed at "time"...
> Can/will someone direct me to a tutorial of this nature???
>

> Thank you,
> --
> Charles L. Phillips

Create a scheduled task (Control Panel / Task Scheduler) and
make sure to run the task under the same account as your
foreground account.

Place your xcopy command inside a batch file like so:

@echo off
xcopy . . . .
echo.
echo %date% %time:~0,5%: XCopy completed.
echo.
pause

Charles L. Phillips

      19th Nov 2005

Hello,
"Thank You"...
Can you recommend a good book on writing batch files???

Thank you,
--
Charles L. Phillips

"Pegasus (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Charles L. Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have a folder containing several files. I have 3 drives, C:\, D:\ &

G:\
> > (Zip).
> > The Zip drive copies the folder at a certain of the day.
> > I want to do an XCOPY /V of the same folder, from the C:\ drive to the

D:\
> > drive. I want the process to take place everyday during the week (no
> > weekends) at a specific time of the day. Then I want a message to

"flash",
> > "XCOPY Of "filename" Completed at "time"...
> > Can/will someone direct me to a tutorial of this nature???
> >

> > Thank you,
> > --
> > Charles L. Phillips

> Create a scheduled task (Control Panel / Task Scheduler) and
> make sure to run the task under the same account as your
> foreground account.
>
> Place your xcopy command inside a batch file like so:
>
> @echo off
> xcopy . . . .
> echo.
> echo %date% %time:~0,5%: XCopy completed.
> echo.
> pause

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      19th Nov 2005
Unfortunately not. There is an alt newsgroup with the words
"batch.nt" in the name - they might be able to recommend
something.

Note that just about all commands have inbuilt help, e.g.
xcopy /?
goto /?
if /?
set /?
call /?

"Charles L. Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
> "Thank You"...
> Can you recommend a good book on writing batch files???
>

> Thank you,
> --
> Charles L. Phillips
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Charles L. Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a folder containing several files. I have 3 drives, C:\, D:\ &

> G:\
> > > (Zip).
> > > The Zip drive copies the folder at a certain of the day.
> > > I want to do an XCOPY /V of the same folder, from the C:\ drive to the

> D:\
> > > drive. I want the process to take place everyday during the week (no
> > > weekends) at a specific time of the day. Then I want a message to

> "flash",
> > > "XCOPY Of "filename" Completed at "time"...
> > > Can/will someone direct me to a tutorial of this nature???
> > >

> > > Thank you,
> > > --
> > > Charles L. Phillips

> > Create a scheduled task (Control Panel / Task Scheduler) and
> > make sure to run the task under the same account as your
> > foreground account.
> >
> > Place your xcopy command inside a batch file like so:
> >
> > @echo off
> > xcopy . . . .
> > echo.
> > echo %date% %time:~0,5%: XCopy completed.
> > echo.
> > pause

Dan Seur

      19th Nov 2005
To add a trivial note to what Pegasus said:
A batch file is a plain text file; you can create it with notepad or any
text editor.
It may include any of the W2k commands; see Help/ Contents/ Reference/
MSDOS Commands. All syntax rules seen there apply to a BAT file.
Its filename always ends with ".bat".
When executed its behavior is exactly as you would see had you entered
those commands in that order in a command window.