Copying and pasting makes Powerpoint crash

Carolyn

      27th Nov 2008
I have Powerpoint 2007. After copying and pasting for a while, this
functionality stops working and sometimes it crashes. Can anybody help
please?!
--
Thanks! - Carolyn

Michael Koerner

      27th Nov 2008
What are you copying and pasting? If you do this for long period of time,
you clipboard can become full and needs to be cleaned out

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

"Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have Powerpoint 2007. After copying and pasting for a while, this
functionality stops working and sometimes it crashes. Can anybody help
please?!
--
Thanks! - Carolyn

Carolyn

      28th Nov 2008
Thanks for your reply Mike.

The problem occured mainly when I did Search and Replace, even with just a
few items on the clipboard. I was working on some Powerpoint documents that a
client had sent me in "Compatibility Mode", so I don't know if that was the
cause of the problem. The programme crashed a lot, even when I was just
clicking between 2 Powerpoint documents.
I ran diagnostics, and it came up with no problems. Don't know, maybe there
was just a bug in the files that the client sent me.
--
Thanks! - Carolyn

"Michael Koerner" wrote:

> What are you copying and pasting? If you do this for long period of time,
> you clipboard can become full and needs to be cleaned out
>
> --
> Michael Koerner
> MS MVP - PowerPoint
>

> "Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Powerpoint 2007. After copying and pasting for a while, this
> functionality stops working and sometimes it crashes. Can anybody help
> please?!
> --
> Thanks! - Carolyn

Echo S

      28th Nov 2008
This will sound weird, but I'd make sure you have a known good printer
driver installed and set as default printer. See

How to install a TEST printer driver
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00952.htm

It could also be a conflict with an add-in. What do you see under Office
Button | PPT Options | Add-ins?

"Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply Mike.
>
> The problem occured mainly when I did Search and Replace, even with just a
> few items on the clipboard. I was working on some Powerpoint documents
> that a
> client had sent me in "Compatibility Mode", so I don't know if that was
> the
> cause of the problem. The programme crashed a lot, even when I was just
> clicking between 2 Powerpoint documents.
> I ran diagnostics, and it came up with no problems. Don't know, maybe
> there
> was just a bug in the files that the client sent me.
> --
> Thanks! - Carolyn
>

> "Michael Koerner" wrote:
>
>> What are you copying and pasting? If you do this for long period of time,
>> you clipboard can become full and needs to be cleaned out
>>
>> --
>> Michael Koerner
>> MS MVP - PowerPoint
>>

>> "Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have Powerpoint 2007. After copying and pasting for a while, this
>> functionality stops working and sometimes it crashes. Can anybody help
>> please?!
>> --
>> Thanks! - Carolyn

Carolyn

      29th Nov 2008
Thanks Echo for your reply.
Under Add-ins I see:

Active appl Addins:
Google Desktop IOffice Addin
OMnipage 16 com addin

Inactive Appl Addins:
Custom XML data
Invisible onslide content
Offslide Content
Presentation Notes.

Could it be something to do with the Invisible onslide content and Offslide
Content?

However...... I have now just installed a test printer and so far, I haven't
had any Powerpoint problems, so maybe it was cos of my previous printer
driver.............

However, there doesn't seem to be any more up to date drivers for my
printer. I am using Windows Vista and quite an old printer, hp office jet
v45. The HP site says: "A full feature software and driver package for
Windows Vista is not available for your product. However, the Windows Vista
operating system installed on your computer contains a basic driver solution
for your product."

Does this mean that getting a new printer would be the solution? Obviously,
I'd rather not.....

any suggestions, ideas welcome.

--
Thanks! - Carolyn

"Echo S" wrote:

> This will sound weird, but I'd make sure you have a known good printer
> driver installed and set as default printer. See
>
> How to install a TEST printer driver
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00952.htm
>
> It could also be a conflict with an add-in. What do you see under Office
> Button | PPT Options | Add-ins?
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>

> "Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your reply Mike.
> >
> > The problem occured mainly when I did Search and Replace, even with just a
> > few items on the clipboard. I was working on some Powerpoint documents
> > that a
> > client had sent me in "Compatibility Mode", so I don't know if that was
> > the
> > cause of the problem. The programme crashed a lot, even when I was just
> > clicking between 2 Powerpoint documents.
> > I ran diagnostics, and it came up with no problems. Don't know, maybe
> > there
> > was just a bug in the files that the client sent me.
> > --
> > Thanks! - Carolyn
> >

> > "Michael Koerner" wrote:
> >
> >> What are you copying and pasting? If you do this for long period of time,
> >> you clipboard can become full and needs to be cleaned out
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Koerner
> >> MS MVP - PowerPoint
> >>

> >> "Carolyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have Powerpoint 2007. After copying and pasting for a while, this
> >> functionality stops working and sometimes it crashes. Can anybody help
> >> please?!
> >> --
> >> Thanks! - Carolyn

Echo S

      30th Nov 2008
Invisible and Offslide content actually come with PPT -- they're part of the
document inspector. They shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks for checking the add-ins, but it sounds like you've isolated the
printer driver as the issue. I believe you should be able to use another
printer driver with your printer, even if it's not made specifically for the
printer, but I'll have to let one of the more printer-savvy people here
explain how to do it.

Otherwise, yeah, the ultimate solution is a new printer.