copy hard disk

Sammy Castagna

      28th Jan 2005
Is there a way to copy C to F my two hard disk letters. And then boot off of
F? I think C is going bad. They are both Samsung 40g I have looked at the
Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
possible. Windows XP. Thank you.

Sammy Castagna

Patrick Michael

      28th Jan 2005

"Sammy Castagna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to copy C to F my two hard disk letters. And then boot off
> of F? I think C is going bad. They are both Samsung 40g I have looked at
> the Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
> possible. Windows XP. Thank you.

You'd have to use a 3rd party program like Norton Ghost.

Tom Penharston

      28th Jan 2005
Here's a question that might help this thread.

I use Ghost boot disks to copy NTFS source partitions to image files on
FAT32 destination partitions. My version of Ghost (7.5) does not write
disk images to NTFS. Does version 9.0 support writing to NTFS?
Simply put, using Ghost, how should Sammy format drive F:?

Sammy Castagna

      28th Jan 2005
Tom,
I have not went and bought it yet because I am unsure. Could I not format F
with windows xp. I really want to get this machine fixed but I do not want
to waste money. I thought it was the controller so I bought a ata 133 to pci
card and changed the cable but it is still hanging and got the can not read
C drive it has to be C going bad there is nothing left is there?

Sammy Castagna

"Tom Penharston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a question that might help this thread.
>
> I use Ghost boot disks to copy NTFS source partitions to image files on
> FAT32 destination partitions. My version of Ghost (7.5) does not write
> disk images to NTFS. Does version 9.0 support writing to NTFS?
> Simply put, using Ghost, how should Sammy format drive F:?

Gerry Cornell

      29th Jan 2005
Sammy

Why do you thinks the hard drive is beginning to fail? Who is the
manufacturer of the hard drive and what is the model?

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sammy Castagna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tom,
> I have not went and bought it yet because I am unsure. Could I not
> format F with windows xp. I really want to get this machine fixed but
> I do not want to waste money. I thought it was the controller so I
> bought a ata 133 to pci card and changed the cable but it is still
> hanging and got the can not read C drive it has to be C going bad
> there is nothing left is there?
>
> Sammy Castagna
>
> "Tom Penharston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Here's a question that might help this thread.
>>
>> I use Ghost boot disks to copy NTFS source partitions to image files
>> on
>> FAT32 destination partitions. My version of Ghost (7.5) does not
>> write
>> disk images to NTFS. Does version 9.0 support writing to NTFS?
>> Simply put, using Ghost, how should Sammy format drive F:?

Sammy Castagna

      29th Jan 2005
Gerry
It is a Samsung SPO411N, I thought it was the controller so I bought a ata
133 to pci
card and changed the cable but it is still hanging and got the can not read
C drive it has to be C going bad there is nothing left is there?

Sammy Castagna

"Gerry Cornell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sammy
>
> Why do you thinks the hard drive is beginning to fail? Who is the
> manufacturer of the hard drive and what is the model?
>
> --
>
> ~~~~~~
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Sammy Castagna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tom,
>> I have not went and bought it yet because I am unsure. Could I not format
>> F with windows xp. I really want to get this machine fixed but I do not
>> want to waste money. I thought it was the controller so I bought a ata
>> 133 to pci card and changed the cable but it is still hanging and got the
>> can not read C drive it has to be C going bad there is nothing left is
>> there?
>>
>> Sammy Castagna
>>
>> "Tom Penharston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Here's a question that might help this thread.
>>>
>>> I use Ghost boot disks to copy NTFS source partitions to image files on
>>> FAT32 destination partitions. My version of Ghost (7.5) does not write
>>> disk images to NTFS. Does version 9.0 support writing to NTFS?
>>> Simply put, using Ghost, how should Sammy format drive F:?

Tom Penharston

      29th Jan 2005
Windows XP has a choice of two different kinds of partition FORMATS. A
format is like a grid or a map on the hard drive. It's like note book
paper with lines. Or graph paper. Hard drives must be formatted,
otherwise the data would get lost in the vast space of the disk. The
hard drive is mapped into useable spaces.

FAT32 is the "old fashioned" hard disk format, access to information is
slow
NTFS is the newer format, faster with security, there is a big
difference

Get "properties" on your hard disk to find out which format you are
using
Better, yet... check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer
Management, Disk Management

Ghost will work on the source (C regardless of which format you are
using, it supports SOURCE with FAT32 or NTFS

The DESTINATION partition is "F". I'm not sure what format F needs to
be. Sorry, I just never used Ghost for your exact situation.
Hopefully someone will tell us.

Gerry Cornell

      29th Jan 2005
Sammy

Does the information here help?
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...ting/index.htm

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sammy Castagna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gerry
> It is a Samsung SPO411N, I thought it was the controller so I bought a
> ata 133 to pci
> card and changed the cable but it is still hanging and got the can not
> read
> C drive it has to be C going bad there is nothing left is there?
>
> Sammy Castagna
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sammy
>>
>> Why do you thinks the hard drive is beginning to fail? Who is the
>> manufacturer of the hard drive and what is the model?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ~~~~~~
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>> suggested solution worked for you.
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "Sammy Castagna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Tom,
>>> I have not went and bought it yet because I am unsure. Could I not
>>> format F with windows xp. I really want to get this machine fixed
>>> but I do not want to waste money. I thought it was the controller so
>>> I bought a ata 133 to pci card and changed the cable but it is still
>>> hanging and got the can not read C drive it has to be C going bad
>>> there is nothing left is there?
>>>
>>> Sammy Castagna
>>>
>>> "Tom Penharston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Alex Nichol

      29th Jan 2005
Sammy Castagna wrote:

>Is there a way to copy C to F my two hard disk letters. And then boot off of
>F? I think C is going bad. They are both Samsung 40g I have looked at the
>Samsung site for a utility but I do not see any thing. Is this even
>possible.

You need a proper partition manager that will do an exact copy. What I
use is BootIT NG, from http://www.BootitNG.com ($35 shareware - 30 day
full functional trial)

Download, to its own folder, extract from the zip, run the bootitng to
make a boot floppy.

With the new drive plugged in as slave/secondary, boot the floppy,
Cancel Install, entering maintenance, then click on Partition work.
Highlight your C:,Copy, then on left select the new drive (HD1),
highlight the Free Space in it, and Paste.

Now click on 'View MBR' and in it highlight the entry for this new
'about to be C' partition and click the 'Set Active' Click 'Write
Standard MBR' and Apply.

Close out, swap the disks to make the new one the one that boots, and
reboot into XP. The C will now be this copy on the other drive

Bournemouth, U.K. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Tom Penharston

      30th Jan 2005
"Close out, swap the disks to make the new one the one that boots, and
reboot into XP. The C will now be this copy on the other drive "

That sounds like good advice, I just wanted add details to the last
part

....take out the drives, make sure the jumpers are set to "select" or
"master" for the F drive, install F where C used to be, close the
chasis, reboot, and F should now appear as C. If the drive can't be
found, reboot and enter "setup" mode. Make sure that setup can detect
your drive. If it still can't be found then make sure the IDE and
power cables are secure double check your jumper settings - - -sorry
that was so long - - - it might help