Copy a Google map to Word Document

=?Utf-8?B?c2xpY2sx?=

      30th Sep 2007
> How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
> I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
> I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

know how to do this or any site I can go to?
> System: Windows Explorer 7

Windows XP-SP2
Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      30th Sep 2007
It looks as if the method I have been using no longer works. I had been able
to click Print, cancel printing, then right-click and use Save Picture As,
but the right-click menu seems to have been disabled. You can save the whole
page (File | Save As | Web page, complete) and then extract the image. Or
you can take a rough-and-ready screen shot using PrintScreen (which copies
the image to the Clipboard, whence you can paste it into Word) and then crop
it. With dedicated screen capture software such as SnagIt
(www.techsmith.com) you can capture just the map (by selecting a region) or
"print" to the SnagIt printer and then crop and save in a graphics format.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
> > I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
> > I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

> know how to do this or any site I can go to?
> > System: Windows Explorer 7

> Windows XP-SP2
> Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
> Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

=?Utf-8?B?c2xpY2sx?=

      30th Sep 2007
> ??? Well..someone sent me an E-mail notification in reponse to my question,
but where is it ?

"slick1" wrote:

> > How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
> > I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
> > I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

> know how to do this or any site I can go to?
> > System: Windows Explorer 7

> Windows XP-SP2
> Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
> Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Terry Farrell

      30th Sep 2007
Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy and
paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to download
IrfanView.

Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your preference.
Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more screen
space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.

Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You now
have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if you
want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
>> I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
>> I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

> know how to do this or any site I can go to?
>> System: Windows Explorer 7

> Windows XP-SP2
> Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
> Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      30th Sep 2007
If you're here, you should be seeing replies.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ??? Well..someone sent me an E-mail notification in reponse to my

question,
> but where is it ?
>
> "slick1" wrote:
>
> > > How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
> > > I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
> > > I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

> > know how to do this or any site I can go to?
> > > System: Windows Explorer 7

> > Windows XP-SP2
> > Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
> > Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Christine S

      14th Feb 2008
Thank you so much - this information was really useful and stopped me from
going insane. Well done 10 out of 10!

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy and
> paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to download
> IrfanView.
>
> Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your preference.
> Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more screen
> space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
> copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.
>
> Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You now
> have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if you
> want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
> Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
>
> "slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> How do I copy a Google map, (a city street map), to a Word document?
> >> I need to add title headers to the top of the maps.
> >> I seached Google, but no luck on any info. Would anyone happen to

> > know how to do this or any site I can go to?
> >> System: Windows Explorer 7

> > Windows XP-SP2
> > Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
> > Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Terry Farrell

      14th Feb 2008
I'm pleased it helped you. Using IrfanView (or similar editor) to edit
graphics of any type before inserting them into Word is nearly always the
best way to go.

Terry

"Christine S" <Christine (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you so much - this information was really useful and stopped me from
> going insane. Well done 10 out of 10!
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy
>> and
>> paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to
>> download
>> IrfanView.
>>
>> Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your
>> preference.
>> Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more
>> screen
>> space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
>> copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.
>>
>> Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You
>> now
>> have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if
>> you
>> want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
>> Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
>>
>> "slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > know how to do this or any site I can go to?
>> > Windows XP-SP2
>> > Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
>> > Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      14th Feb 2008
Many Web sites (including Google Maps IIRC) that don't permit copying do
have a Print option. Sometimes this gives you a printable page (and
sometimes you can even copy from that), which provides a better screen shot,
but an even better solution in this case, if you are using a screen capture
application such as SnagIt, is to print directly to the SnagIt printer,
which captures the screen at whatever resolution you specify.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Christine S" <Christine (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you so much - this information was really useful and stopped me from
> going insane. Well done 10 out of 10!
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy
>> and
>> paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to
>> download
>> IrfanView.
>>
>> Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your
>> preference.
>> Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more
>> screen
>> space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
>> copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.
>>
>> Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You
>> now
>> have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if
>> you
>> want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
>> Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
>>
>> "slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > know how to do this or any site I can go to?
>> > Windows XP-SP2
>> > Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.
>> > Acer TravelMate 2450 laptop

JoAnn Paules

      14th Feb 2008
Or if you are using Vista, the Snipping tool works nicely. (I prefer SnagIt
tho.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many Web sites (including Google Maps IIRC) that don't permit copying do
> have a Print option. Sometimes this gives you a printable page (and
> sometimes you can even copy from that), which provides a better screen
> shot, but an even better solution in this case, if you are using a screen
> capture application such as SnagIt, is to print directly to the SnagIt
> printer, which captures the screen at whatever resolution you specify.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>
> "Christine S" <Christine (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you so much - this information was really useful and stopped me
>> from
>> going insane. Well done 10 out of 10!
>>
>> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>>
>>> Google Maps will let you copy a link, but you cannot do a 'simple' copy
>>> and
>>> paste. You need a good simple graphics editor such as the free to
>>> download
>>> IrfanView.
>>>
>>> Open Google Maps and select the location and adjust it to your
>>> preference.
>>> Note that you can toggle FullScreenView (F12) in Explorer to get more
>>> screen
>>> space to get a bigger map area. Once it is right, use ALt+PrtScn (this
>>> copies the screen tot he Windows Clipboard.
>>>
>>> Toggle off FullScreenView (F12) and open IrfanView. Use Edit, Paste. You
>>> now
>>> have the Google Map displayed. You can crop it to edit it again now if
>>> you
>>> want. Then click on save and save it as a jpeg. You can now use Insert,
>>> Picture to get the saved map into Word or an Outlook email.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
>>>
>>> "slick1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Terry Farrell

      14th Feb 2008
Reminder for self: I must get round to testing out the Snipping tool!

Terry

news:(E-Mail Removed)...