Copy entire database without data

Sandy

      5th Jul 2008
What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
transport the data.
Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.

Thanks
Sandy

fredg

      5th Jul 2008
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:17:30 +0100, Sandy wrote:

> What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
> transport the data.
> Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.
>
> Thanks
> Sandy

Create a brand new database.
Then click on File + Get External Data + Import.
Navigate to the database you wish to copy.
Select the Tables tab.
Select All the tables.
Click on Options.
Select Definition Only.
Select Relationships.
Then select all the Forms, Queries, etc.
Click OK.

That's it.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

boblarson

      5th Jul 2008
I hope you aren't using autonumbers for anything with meaning. They are only
guaranteed to generate a unique number and really should mostly only be used
for a primary key and not normally exposed to the user.

--
Bob Larson
Access MVP

Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com

__________________________________

"Sandy" wrote:

> What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
> transport the data.
> Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.
>
> Thanks
> Sandy

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      6th Jul 2008
with SQL Server, it is quite easy to generate all the SCRIPTS to copy
a whole db without any data.
Right click- generate scripts, next, next, yes, next

and then HIT F5 to execute.

Access doesn't have tools for grown-ups; it is time for everyone to
move to SQL Server

On Jul 5, 3:17*pm, "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
> transport the data.
> Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.
>
> Thanks
> Sandy

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      6th Jul 2008
dude where do you come up with this crap?

seriously?

On Jul 5, 3:48*pm, boblarson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I hope you aren't using autonumbers for anything with meaning. *They are only
> guaranteed to generate a unique number and really should mostly only be used
> for a primary key and not normally exposed to the user.
>
> --
> Bob Larson
> Access MVP
> Access World Forums Administrator
> Utter Access VIP
>
> Tutorials athttp://www.btabdevelopment.com
>
> __________________________________
>
> "Sandy" wrote:
> > What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
> > transport the data.
> > Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.

> > Thanks
> > Sandy

So Sorry For Poor Aaron

      6th Jul 2008
"a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> seriously?

Post back when you find your brain. That's the trouble with dried-pea size
brains -- it's so darn easy to misplace them.

So Sorry For Poor Aaron

      6th Jul 2008
"a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> with SQL Server, it is quite easy to generate all the SCRIPTS to copy
> a whole db without any data.

aaron the one-trick jackass! 'move to sql server' is all he knows.

a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m

      7th Jul 2008
hey stalker; it would take care of 90% of the problems from 90% of the
people-- of course everyone should move to SQL Server.

Like it is so offensive?

Let me guess; you're an Oracle IDIOT.. is that the problem?

-Aaron

On Jul 6, 3:36*pm, So Sorry For Poor Aaron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:
>
> > with SQL Server, it is quite easy to generate all the SCRIPTS to copy
> > a whole db without any data.

> aaron the one-trick jackass! *'move to sql server' is all he knows. *

Sandy

      7th Jul 2008
Thanks - did the job perfectly
Sandy

"fredg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1iettndew9j4v$.1inrz46pzxg46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:17:30 +0100, Sandy wrote:
>
>> What is the best method of copying an entire database without having to
>> transport the data.
>> Preferably by having the tables with autonumbering starting at 1.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sandy

> Create a brand new database.
> Then click on File + Get External Data + Import.
> Navigate to the database you wish to copy.
> Select the Tables tab.
> Select All the tables.
> Click on Options.
> Select Definition Only.
> Select Relationships.
> Then select all the Forms, Queries, etc.
> Click OK.
>
> That's it.
>
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail

Sandy

      7th Jul 2008
Yes Bob they are only for primary keys. They do however have a bearing on
Job No though.
Sandy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...