coolwebsearch threat

      12th Apr 2005
buddy of mine obviously caught a version of coolwebsearch
that's not recognized by the tool. Looks like the blank
start page 'about:blank' is kind of replaced with the
coolwebsearch mess

periodic pop-ups and no way to change start page in IE,
always ending up on some strange search page for all the
stuff you may not really need

tried other means/tools/utils but looks like this version
is really sticky

any chance to get this covered ?

Bill Sanderson

      12th Apr 2005
Best advice: submit a Tools, suspected spyware report from the infected
machine.

Also--look up about:buster/

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:083c01c53f2a$591d0ea0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> buddy of mine obviously caught a version of coolwebsearch
> that's not recognized by the tool. Looks like the blank
> start page 'about:blank' is kind of replaced with the
> coolwebsearch mess
>
> periodic pop-ups and no way to change start page in IE,
> always ending up on some strange search page for all the
> stuff you may not really need
>
> tried other means/tools/utils but looks like this version
> is really sticky
>
> any chance to get this covered ?

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

      14th Apr 2005
Also try the browser restore function in advanced tools and let me know how
if that is working.

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]