Converting string to number

kenppy

      5th Mar 2010
hi,

I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external
source.
A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks.
The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off
the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size.

thanks

kenppy

      5th Mar 2010

This works but is still a string, how do I turn this to number?
thanks
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)
>
> Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
> constant

kenppy

      5th Mar 2010
The data is already loading into columns but the length of the stuff to
strip may not be predicted, how would this be treated?
thanks

(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Another alternative if you are pasting text into Excel is to use the text to
> columns facility.
>
> You'll find this under data - text to columns. Ask again if you need more
> help on this.

Bob Phillips

      5th Mar 2010

=--LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)

--

HTH

Bob

"kenppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This works but is still a string, how do I turn this to number?
> thanks
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)
>>
>> Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
>> constant

Luke M

      5th Mar 2010
=VALUE(LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5))

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"kenppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This works but is still a string, how do I turn this to number?
> thanks
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5)
>>
>> Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is
>> constant

Luke M

      5th Mar 2010
Under Data - Text to Columns, choose delimited. Then choose space as your
delimiter.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"kenppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The data is already loading into columns but the length of the stuff to
> strip may not be predicted, how would this be treated?
> thanks
>
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Another alternative if you are pasting text into Excel is to use the text
>> columns facility.
>>
>> You'll find this under data - text to columns. Ask again if you need
>> more
>> help on this.

      5th Mar 2010
Thanks all of you, it's working now