Converting FAT32 to NTFS

Dsquared

      7th Sep 2009
Dom't know if you can help or not.

My Brother-in-law has a Dell Dimension 2600 running XP HE. IHe had problems
with slow performance. P4 with 512MB Ram; I upgraded to 2GB. Tried to defrag;
ran fo 15 hours, and kept resetting. While starting defrag, I noticed Dell
had installed as FAT32 system; C and D partition.

I had BIL abort defrag and restart. Worked OK. Then I went to his place, and
did convert. First D:, no problem. Then C:. Get message to convert at next
start. Yes. Computer restarted, shows converting. Never entered splash screen
to statrt XP. Same screen has been up for 36 hours....

S, do I shut it off, and restart? Can I pull the hard drive, put it in USB
external drive, convert and reinstall?

Looking for some guidance...

TIA

Don

Rich Barry

      7th Sep 2009
I think that C: being the system partition would be more
problematic. Try what you said, I think it would present less of a problem.
"Dsquared" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dom't know if you can help or not.
>
> My Brother-in-law has a Dell Dimension 2600 running XP HE. IHe had
> problems
> with slow performance. P4 with 512MB Ram; I upgraded to 2GB. Tried to
> defrag;
> ran fo 15 hours, and kept resetting. While starting defrag, I noticed Dell
> had installed as FAT32 system; C and D partition.
>
> I had BIL abort defrag and restart. Worked OK. Then I went to his place,
> and
> did convert. First D:, no problem. Then C:. Get message to convert at next
> start. Yes. Computer restarted, shows converting. Never entered splash
> screen
> to statrt XP. Same screen has been up for 36 hours....
>
> S, do I shut it off, and restart? Can I pull the hard drive, put it in USB
> external drive, convert and reinstall?
>
> Looking for some guidance...
>
> TIA
>
> Don

Dsquared

      8th Sep 2009

OK, so I turned off the computer, and then turned back on. I got the XP
splash screen, then it went into the same message about converting. It wanted
to run checkdisk, and I remember I had allowed it yesterday. Was no bad
sectors or corrupt files, so today I cancelled it. Went to the same screen
for converting, and I settled back to see what would happen. In less than 5
minutes, it fired up, and I was off and running.

Rich:

Thanks for the advice. Sort of what I expected, but nice to have a
confirmation of sorts.