converting from dynamic disks to Basic

Lgried

      4th May 2004
I`v had my PC hard disk primary partition turned to
dyanamic NTFS. I tryed to format it I couldn`t because it
isn`t empty. I want delete partition and reinstal windows
Xp home eddition. how can I convert the hard disk and its
volumes from dynamic simple to Basic? windows XP
proffesional currently installed on it. SOS

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      4th May 2004
The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

Note: If you are unable to activate Windows XP via the internet,
then select the option to "activate by telephone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

news:7f6701c431cb$624b2330$(E-Mail Removed)...