Convert Word Document to vCard

dwilt@historyassociates.com

      29th Oct 2008
One of our users gave me a lengthy address list in Word (as a straight
list, not as a table). It includes home addresses, work addresses,
phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. He wants me to convert it to
vCard. The only instructions I found online are for converting
Outlook contacts to vCard. Is there any way to convert this Word doc
to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      30th Oct 2008
Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and paste
to Excel and put one record per row.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One of our users gave me a lengthy address list in Word (as a straight
> list, not as a table). It includes home addresses, work addresses,
> phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. He wants me to convert it to
> vCard. The only instructions I found online are for converting
> Outlook contacts to vCard. Is there any way to convert this Word doc
> to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?

dwilt@historyassociates.com

      30th Oct 2008
On Oct 29, 10:31*pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and paste
> to Excel and put one record per row.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > One of our users gave me a lengthy address list in Word (as a straight
> > list, not as a table). *It includes home addresses, work addresses,
> > phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. *He wants me to convert it to
> > vCard. *The only instructions I found online are for converting
> > Outlook contacts to vCard. *Is there any way to convert this Word doc
> > to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?- Hide quoted text -

It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
record per row. After I do that, in what format should I save the
Excel document? Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
into vCard format?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      30th Oct 2008
Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
(97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.

Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special, transpose -
if the word file is in the form of
name
address
city

You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
step. When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 29, 10:31 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and
>> paste
>> to Excel and put one record per row.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by
>> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
>> point your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > One of our users gave me a lengthy address list in Word (as a straight
>> > list, not as a table). It includes home addresses, work addresses,
>> > phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. He wants me to convert it to
>> > vCard. The only instructions I found online are for converting
>> > Outlook contacts to vCard. Is there any way to convert this Word doc
>> > to vCard, even if I have to convert it to Excel first?- Hide quoted
>> > text -

> It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
> record per row. After I do that, in what format should I save the
> Excel document? Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
> into vCard format?

dwilt@historyassociates.com

      31st Oct 2008
On Oct 30, 5:04*pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
> (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.
>
> Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special, transpose -
> if the word file is in the form of
> name
> address
> city
>
> You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
> step. *When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
> then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
> need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
> special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Oct 29, 10:31 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> Are the records in a table? If so, you can import it. If not, copy and
> >> paste
> >> to Excel and put one record per row.

> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com

> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)

> >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)

> >> You can access this newsgroup by
> >> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
> >> point your
> >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
> > record per row. *After I do that, in what format should I save the
> > Excel document? *Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
> > into vCard format?- Hide quoted text -

OK. So after I do that, how do I convert it to a vcf file?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      31st Oct 2008
You need to import it into Contacts using file import.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 30, 5:04 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
>> (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.
>>
>> Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special,
>> transpose -
>> if the word file is in the form of
>> name
>> address
>> city
>>
>> You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
>> step. When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
>> then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
>> need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
>> special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by
>> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
>> point your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > It's not in a table, so I will copy and paste to Excel and put one
>> > record per row. After I do that, in what format should I save the
>> > Excel document? Then how do I go about converting the Excel document
>> > into vCard format?- Hide quoted text -

> OK. So after I do that, how do I convert it to a vcf file?

dwilt@historyassociates.com

      4th Nov 2008
On Oct 31, 11:36*am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> You need to import it into Contacts using file import.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Oct 30, 5:04 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Save it as either excel or CSV format. If you do it in Excel format
> >> (97-2003, not 2007 format) - you'll need to name the range.

> >> Also - in case you aren't familiar with Excel's paste special,
> >> transpose -
> >> if the word file is in the form of
> >> name
> >> address
> >> city

> >> You can copy and use paste special, transpose to get it into Excel in one
> >> step. When I needed to do it, I copied by pages (using paste special) and
> >> then drag and dropped the records to the rows. If the city, state and zip
> >> need split into cells its fairly easy with formulas (then copy and paste
> >> special, values to replace the formulas with hard values).

> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com

> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)

> >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)

> >> You can access this newsgroup by
> >> visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor
> >> point your
> >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > OK. *So after I do that, how do I convert it to a vcf file?- Hide quoted text -

When I import it into Contacts, doesn't it just make it part of the
pst file? Or is there an option to save it as a vcf file?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      5th Nov 2008
> When I import it into Contacts, doesn't it just make it part of the
> pst file? Or is there an option to save it as a vcf file?

Once its imported you can save the contacts as vcf files outside of outlook.
Or you can learn to write your own vcf's using notepad. The basic layout is
here: http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/vcard-notes.html