Convert Outlook Express files (DBX) to Outlook 2000 files (PST)

frank@worldramp.net

      13th May 2004
I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
may one day view them in the current version of Outlook.

I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
to comibe this information and the file size will be
extremely large.

How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?

Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
Outlook Express?

Thanks,

Frank

Gordon

      13th May 2004
news:ca2d01c43907$1ea683c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
> from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
> as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
> may one day view them in the current version of Outlook.
>
> I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
> outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
> to comibe this information and the file size will be
> extremely large.
>
> How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
> into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?
>
> Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
> Outlook Express?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However, what you can do is to
set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the import.

frank@worldramp.net

      13th May 2004
How would I do that?
Can you pls send detailed instructions?
Thanks,
Frank

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ca2d01c43907$1ea683c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have four years worth of e-mails backed up and stored
>> from when I used Outlook Express, these files are saved
>> as DBX. I want to covert these to PST files so that I
>> may one day view them in the current version of

Outlook.

>> I don't want to import the DBX files into my current
>> outlook because I am afraid of two things: I don't want
>> to comibe this information and the file size will be
>> extremely large.
>>
>> How can I convert the DBX files (Outlook Express mail)
>> into PST Files (Outlook 2000)?
>>
>> Also, can I do the same with the Address Book File of
>> Outlook Express?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Frank

>The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However,

what you can do is to
>set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the

import.

>.

Gordon

      13th May 2004
news:ca7f01c4390b$c2f70a90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would I do that?
> Can you pls send detailed instructions?
> Thanks,
> Frank
>

> >The only way IS to import them into Outlook. However,

> what you can do is to
> >set up a new Outlook Profile specifically to do the

> import.
> >

> >.

I'm at a machine which is W2K and control panel disabled at the moment -
but here goes. Go to Control Panel-Mail and there should be an option to
create a new Profile there.

HTH!

frank@worldramp.net

      14th May 2004
I am getting the following message when I want to import
the files:

NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.

What can I do?

Frank

Gordon

      14th May 2004
news:ce0d01c43959$94d9a2a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am getting the following message when I want to import
> the files:
>
> NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
> APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
> PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
> THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Frank

have you imported the files into Outlook Express first? Outlook cannot
import dbx files direct - it must do it from Outlook Express.

Brian Tillman

      14th May 2004

> I am getting the following message when I want to import
> the files:
>
> NO MESSAGES CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FOLDER OR ANOTHER
> APPLICATION IS RUNNING THAT HAS THE REQUIRED FILES OPEN.
> PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER FOLDER OR TRY CLOSING APPLICATIONS
> THAT MAY HAVE FILES OPEN.

You can't import DBX files into Outlook. You must import them first into
Outlook Express and then either use Outlook Express to export them to
Outlook (preferred) or use Outlook to import them from Outlook Express.
--
Brian Tillman