Contact not importing names of csv lists

Rusty

      18th Jan 2010
Whenever I import a csv file into outlook 2007 it imports only the email
addresses, nothing else. I've titled the csv columns with the exact same
headings as the outlook contact headings. Still, it imports only the email
addresses. What do I need to do to get it to import the full names as well?

Karl Timmermans

      18th Jan 2010
Is it correct to assume that because you stated that you "titled the csv
columns the same as the Outlook contact headings" - that you used
"auto-map" to import your data?

There is absolutely no reason, benefit or value whatsoever (under any
circumstances) in renaming columns (fields) to match those of Outlook -
actually, that exercise serves no purpose (if the sole purpose is to use
"auto-map") other than being a cause of problems and aggravation not to
mention a "complete and total waste of time".

When importing your data, click on the button "Map Custom Fields" when it
appears and ensure that the fields you want to import (whatever those
column names are - makes no difference what the <name> is) are mapped
correctly to the Outlook field you want to import them to. Entire process
takes a few extra seconds and a lot faster than "renaming columns/fields -
spending time looking for mistakes" (i.e. only one extra space somewhere is
all it takes for a field name not to match). If you "manually mapped" your
fields and something is still not importing - will guarantee that the issue
is "with the file being imported " and not the Outlook import process
itself. The Outlook import process may not do everything people want but
what it does do - it does very well and consistently as long as the fields
are correctly mapped and there are no issues with the file being imported
(exception to that statement being PST2PST import/export which can lead to
future problems that may not be immediately apparent).

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010"
http://www.contactgenie.com

"Rusty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I import a csv file into outlook 2007 it imports only the email
> addresses, nothing else. I've titled the csv columns with the exact same
> headings as the outlook contact headings. Still, it imports only the
> email
> addresses. What do I need to do to get it to import the full names as
> well?

Rusty

      19th Jan 2010
Got it. It works now.