Consecutive page numbers on worksheets in Excel

=?Utf-8?B?QmVjb3Q=?=

      27th Sep 2006
I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.

The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.

Any advice? Can this be done?

MyVeryOwnSelf

      27th Sep 2006
> I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
>
> The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I
> would like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So
> far, all I can get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the
> second, etc.

One way is to use:
File > Page Setup > Page

Where it says "First page number" type in:
Auto

=?Utf-8?B?QmVjb3Q=?=

      27th Sep 2006
Thank you. I also discovered that if I just ask to put "page" in the footer,
it will print consecutively if I select "entire workbook" when I print. If I
dont' select that (my default goes to "active worksheet") then each worksheet
prints with its own page numbering. Very confusing! But I appreciate your
help.

"Becot" wrote:

> I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
>
> The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
> like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
> get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.
>
> Any advice? Can this be done?

Gord Dibben

      27th Sep 2006
Select a sheet and right-click on the tab and "Select all sheets"

Go to View>Headers and footers.

Select from the drop-down "Page 1 of ?"

OK out.

Right-click and "ungroup sheets".

File>Print>Print What>Entire Workbook

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:02:02 -0700, Becot <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
>
>The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
>like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
>get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.
>
>Any advice? Can this be done?

=?Utf-8?B?c2FtbXk=?=

      10th Oct 2006
Hi,

I have a similar but opposite problem because I want each worksheet to print
with its own set of page numbers but all I get is consecutive numbers, for
example, from 1 to 30. I want the first worksheet to be numbered 1 - 6 of 6,
the second worksheet to be numbered 1 - 5 of 5...

If I select one worksheet at a time, I can get what I want, but if I select
multiple worksheets, the total page number reflects the total number of pages
in all sheets and not the number of pages in the individual worksheet.

I'm sorry if this is confusing but all I want is a footer that has "page #
of pages" relative to the individual worksheets but I want to print multiple
worksheets at the same time. It seems that this is easy if I just have the
page number, but gets complicated when I add the "of pages" part.

Any other suggestions?

TIA,
Sammy

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Select a sheet and right-click on the tab and "Select all sheets"
>
> Go to View>Headers and footers.
>
> Select from the drop-down "Page 1 of ?"
>
> OK out.
>
> Right-click and "ungroup sheets".
>
> File>Print>Print What>Entire Workbook
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:02:02 -0700, Becot <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
> >
> >The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
> >like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
> >get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.
> >
> >Any advice? Can this be done?

Gord Dibben

      10th Oct 2006
Your original post asked for "consecutive page numbering throughout the
document" but sounds like that was not what you wanted.

You want consecutive numbering for each sheet.

Other than individual print jobs, I have no suggestions.

One of the more knowledgeable VBA people will jump in with some code, I'm sure.

Gord

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:45:03 -0700, sammy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a similar but opposite problem because I want each worksheet to print
>with its own set of page numbers but all I get is consecutive numbers, for
>example, from 1 to 30. I want the first worksheet to be numbered 1 - 6 of 6,
>the second worksheet to be numbered 1 - 5 of 5...
>
>If I select one worksheet at a time, I can get what I want, but if I select
>multiple worksheets, the total page number reflects the total number of pages
>in all sheets and not the number of pages in the individual worksheet.
>
>I'm sorry if this is confusing but all I want is a footer that has "page #
>of pages" relative to the individual worksheets but I want to print multiple
>worksheets at the same time. It seems that this is easy if I just have the
>page number, but gets complicated when I add the "of pages" part.
>
>Any other suggestions?
>
>TIA,
>Sammy
>

>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Select a sheet and right-click on the tab and "Select all sheets"
>>
>> Go to View>Headers and footers.
>>
>> Select from the drop-down "Page 1 of ?"
>>
>> OK out.
>>
>> Right-click and "ungroup sheets".
>>
>> File>Print>Print What>Entire Workbook
>>

>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:02:02 -0700, Becot <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
>> >
>> >The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
>> >like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
>> >get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.
>> >
>> >Any advice? Can this be done?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

=?Utf-8?B?c2FtbXk=?=

      10th Oct 2006
Thanks for your reply. I'll wait and see what else shows up.

Sammy

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Your original post asked for "consecutive page numbering throughout the
> document" but sounds like that was not what you wanted.
>
> You want consecutive numbering for each sheet.
>
> Other than individual print jobs, I have no suggestions.
>
> One of the more knowledgeable VBA people will jump in with some code, I'm sure.
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:45:03 -0700, sammy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a similar but opposite problem because I want each worksheet to print
> >with its own set of page numbers but all I get is consecutive numbers, for
> >example, from 1 to 30. I want the first worksheet to be numbered 1 - 6 of 6,
> >the second worksheet to be numbered 1 - 5 of 5...
> >
> >If I select one worksheet at a time, I can get what I want, but if I select
> >multiple worksheets, the total page number reflects the total number of pages
> >in all sheets and not the number of pages in the individual worksheet.
> >
> >I'm sorry if this is confusing but all I want is a footer that has "page #
> >of pages" relative to the individual worksheets but I want to print multiple
> >worksheets at the same time. It seems that this is easy if I just have the
> >page number, but gets complicated when I add the "of pages" part.
> >
> >Any other suggestions?
> >
> >TIA,
> >Sammy
> >

> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Select a sheet and right-click on the tab and "Select all sheets"
> >>
> >> Go to View>Headers and footers.
> >>
> >> Select from the drop-down "Page 1 of ?"
> >>
> >> OK out.
> >>
> >> Right-click and "ungroup sheets".
> >>
> >> File>Print>Print What>Entire Workbook
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Pete_UK

      10th Oct 2006
Once you have set up each sheet how you would like it, is it really so
hard to click on a sheet tab then click the <print> icon, and do this
for each sheet you have? You could easily record a macro to do this for
you.

Pete

sammy wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I'll wait and see what else shows up.
>
> Sammy
>
> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > Your original post asked for "consecutive page numbering throughout the
> > document" but sounds like that was not what you wanted.
> >
> > You want consecutive numbering for each sheet.
> >
> > Other than individual print jobs, I have no suggestions.
> >
> > One of the more knowledgeable VBA people will jump in with some code, I'm sure.
> >

> > Gord
> >
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:45:03 -0700, sammy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have a similar but opposite problem because I want each worksheet to print
> > >with its own set of page numbers but all I get is consecutive numbers, for
> > >example, from 1 to 30. I want the first worksheet to be numbered 1 - 6 of 6,
> > >the second worksheet to be numbered 1 - 5 of 5...
> > >
> > >If I select one worksheet at a time, I can get what I want, but if I select
> > >multiple worksheets, the total page number reflects the total number of pages
> > >in all sheets and not the number of pages in the individual worksheet.
> > >
> > >I'm sorry if this is confusing but all I want is a footer that has "page #
> > >of pages" relative to the individual worksheets but I want to print multiple
> > >worksheets at the same time. It seems that this is easy if I just have the
> > >page number, but gets complicated when I add the "of pages" part.
> > >
> > >Any other suggestions?
> > >
> > >TIA,
> > >Sammy

> > Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

=?Utf-8?B?QmV0aA==?=

      9th Dec 2006
Hi All

My question is about numbering 1-400 but only putting 1- 59 in one colum
and 60-100 in the 2nd colum on the same page and then going to the next page
and starting with 101 and so on. What I'm trying to make is a list of the
phone numbers on my cell phone, if any one can help me I would really like to
get this spreadsheet set up, instead of typing each number by hand

"Becot" wrote:

> I have an Excel spreadsheet that has 3 separate worksheets in it.
>
> The documents will all be printed together as one large document and I would
> like consecutive page numbering throughout the document. So far, all I can
> get is page 1-3 of the first worksheet, page 1-4 of the second, etc.
>
> Any advice? Can this be done?

Larryq22

      1st Dec 2007
It seems like things got a lot easier in Excel 2007. I've had the same
problem with numbering consecutive pages across worksheets in the same
workbook, but I had some success in 2007. My workbook consisted of a series
of worksheets, each of which was a separate section in a report. There was
also a cover page worksheet and a table of contents worksheet which occupied
the first two worksheets in the workbook.

To number all the pages, I inserted footers containing the "&Page" command
on all sheets on which I wanted the page # to appear. (I omitted this for
the cover and contents pages.)

On the first page of the report (third worksheet), I used the Page Layout
tab, Print Titles button, Page tab of dialog box, First Page Number = 1.
(You can also get to this dialog box through Print Preview>Page Setup.)

On subsequent worksheets, I left First Page Number as Auto.

This miraculously worked, so the entire report is in on Excel workbook, with
correct page numbers.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing!

Larry