connection to server has failed - keep getting error msg

Emily

      25th Jul 2009
Can't send or receive - getting the following error msg

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.onetel.net.uk',
Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

PLEASE HELP, very annoying!

Mehmet

      25th Jul 2009

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'dene', Account:
'mail.mesmakina.com', Server: 'mail.XXXXXXXX.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Sam Hobbs

      25th Jul 2009

I might be able to help. If I don't help then one of the more experienced
people will respond.

You can attempt to diagnose the problem by searching Microsoft, especially
the TechNet. For example:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...x800CCC0E&ac=8

Most of those results don't apply to Windows Mail. One of the applies to
Outlook Express but it probably applies to Window Mail too; see:
Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you try to send and
receive e-mail in Outlook and Outlook Express

You should look for other relevant results from the search, but the KB
article (813514) says that the problem could be caused by either the
configuration "of your AV software" or "of your personal firewall software".
Do you have your AV software set to scan email? If so then try turning off
the scanning. I am not suggesting you disable the AV software; just the
email scanning part.

See also:
Windows Mail will not let me send out any emails
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-e9bb999eb41b/
Which says that the port might be the problem.

"Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't send or receive - getting the following error msg
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.onetel.net.uk',
> Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> PLEASE HELP, very annoying!

Gary VanderMolen

      26th Jul 2009
Emily, that symptom is usually caused by interference from an
antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't send or receive - getting the following error msg
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.onetel.net.uk',
> Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> PLEASE HELP, very annoying!

Gary VanderMolen

      26th Jul 2009
Mehmet, since you blanked out the server name, I can't give you a
definitive diagnosis, but here's my best guess:

As a general rule, the owner of the SMTP server you are using must be
the same as the company providing your Internet connection at that
moment. For more on this see
http://www.postcastserver.com/help/P..._Blocking.aspx

Apparently you are sending from home, and your home ISP is not
associated with the SMTP server you are attempting to use.
The available workarounds are as follows:

1. Ask your mail provider if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
2. Substitute the SMTP server belonging to your ISP connection. This
is a bit tricky, but if you want to go that route, I can provide more details.
3. If you are sending from a laptop away from home, let me know, and
I will provide additional guidance.

--

"Mehmet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'dene', Account:
> 'mail.mesmakina.com', Server: 'mail.XXXXXXXX.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Emily

      26th Jul 2009
Thanks, my Norton 360 has just renewed - but haven't had any problems before
- am probably being thick but can't find where to switch the email scanning
off - also would that leave me vulnerable to viruses?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Emily, that symptom is usually caused by interference from an
> antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
> explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can't send or receive - getting the following error msg
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.onetel.net.uk',
> > Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > PLEASE HELP, very annoying!

Gary VanderMolen

      27th Jul 2009
The email scanning function is in the antivirus product because
all the competitors include it, and it makes for another bullet on the
box for gullible buyers.

Even Symantec (Norton), the originator of the email scanning concept
admits that it is redundant and unnecessary:

"Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email
and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.
To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto- Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."

Quoted from http://tinyurl.com/bhsva or see
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

For problems caused by scanning, see
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, my Norton 360 has just renewed - but haven't had any problems before
> - am probably being thick but can't find where to switch the email scanning
> off - also would that leave me vulnerable to viruses?
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Emily, that symptom is usually caused by interference from an
>> antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
>> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
>> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
>> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>>
>> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
>> explained here:
>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>>
>> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
>> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
>> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Can't send or receive - getting the following error msg
>> >
>> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.onetel.net.uk',
>> > Server: 'mail.onetel.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
>> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>> >
>> > PLEASE HELP, very annoying!

Lit Announcer

      27th Jul 2009
This sounds really complicated. Using a professional email smtp
service will save you a lot of pain. Try http://www.smtp.com -- it
works great for me!