Connecting two DNS Servers through the Internet

Michael

      20th Oct 2003
I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

Kevin D. Goodknecht

      20th Oct 2003
In news:01f401c3973c$60e52dd0$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
> internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
> about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
> addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
> both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
> try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

Your question is unclear, what do you mean you want to connect them?
Do they both hold forward or reverse lookup zones?
Please elaborate.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

      20th Oct 2003
Please provide more detail as to what "connect" means. Are you trying to perform zone transfers?

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      21st Oct 2003
In news:01f401c3973c$60e52dd0$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts, then I offered
mine
> I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
> internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
> about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
> addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
> both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
> try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

I *think* you mean you want to have one DNS server's zone information onthe
other. If so, the easiest way is to choose one of the machines to have a
Primary Zone, and then create the same zone on the other one as a Secondary
zone, and when it asks who the Master IP is, you give it the IP of the first
one.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

=================================

Michael

      21st Oct 2003
ok, this is were i am. i have 2 businesses about 20 miles
apart. i need to set them up where i a can see all
computers on one network. both locations have windows 2000
server and routers with fixed ip addresses. i have a
program that does everything for sales and inventory etc.
i need to be able to share files and print from any
printer. more less being on the same network. thats where
i am and want i need to do.
michael delahoussaye

Jason Meyer

      21st Oct 2003
I would look at setting up a VPN between the two sites if you want to do all
that file sharing and what not.

Jason
news:0c1d01c397dc$f328ea10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok, this is were i am. i have 2 businesses about 20 miles
> apart. i need to set them up where i a can see all
> computers on one network. both locations have windows 2000
> server and routers with fixed ip addresses. i have a
> program that does everything for sales and inventory etc.
> i need to be able to share files and print from any
> printer. more less being on the same network. thats where
> i am and want i need to do.
> michael delahoussaye

Kevin D. Goodknecht

      21st Oct 2003
In news:0c1d01c397dc$f328ea10$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> ok, this is were i am. i have 2 businesses about 20 miles
> apart. i need to set them up where i a can see all
> computers on one network. both locations have windows 2000
> server and routers with fixed ip addresses. i have a
> program that does everything for sales and inventory etc.
> i need to be able to share files and print from any
> printer. more less being on the same network. thats where
> i am and want i need to do.
> michael delahoussaye

This would be much easier to do if you set up a single AD domain at both
locations then you would just set up a VPN link between the two, AD
replication would take care of everything.

That being said, in the absence of an AD Domain, you still need the VPN
link, then give your network a FQDN such as my network.local make a forward
lookup zone for that name in DNS, primary on one secondary on the other and
manually create the host records in DNS for machine hostnames, i.e. server1
and server2 with the respective private addresses in the primary.
Point all machines to the private addresses of these servers for DNS
With this setup if the link is working then all machines would resolve the
names by the FQDN as server1.network.local and so on.

The problem with not using an AD domain is for anyone to access the shares
all users will have to have local accounts on all servers that have matching
usernames and passwords. If anyone changes their password it would have to
be changed in the local accounts on all machines. This could be a real PITA
to administer.

Do yourself a favor and set up a single AD Domain, with a DC in both
locations and a VPN between the two.
You still need DNS at both locations but replication would take care of
everything, including users and passwords. You will be much happier with the
outcome.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      21st Oct 2003
Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough info!

Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd party,
such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

=================================

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:01f401c3973c$60e52dd0$(E-Mail Removed),
> Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts, then I offered
> mine
> > I need to know how to connect 2 DNS servers over the
> > internet. I have 2 servers with 2k server. 2 buildings
> > about 20 miles away and each both places have fixed ip
> > addresses. dns is running on both. dhcp is running on
> > both. but i dont have active directory running. i want to
> > try to stay away from it if i could. can anyone help?

> I *think* you mean you want to have one DNS server's zone information

onthe
> other. If so, the easiest way is to choose one of the machines to have a
> Primary Zone, and then create the same zone on the other one as a

Secondary
> zone, and when it asks who the Master IP is, you give it the IP of the

first
> one.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
> --
> =================================

Kevin D. Goodknecht

      22nd Oct 2003
In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&(E-Mail Removed)>
posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough
> info!
>
> Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd
> party, such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.
>
> --

Hey Ace, it's like a buddy of mine I use to run containers with, he always
said, "You're supposed to listen to what I mean, instead of what I say!"

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      22nd Oct 2003
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Kevin D. Goodknecht <(E-Mail Removed)> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
> Ace Fekay [MVP]
> <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&(E-Mail Removed)> posted a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> Wow, I was way off. That's what I get when guessing without enough
>> info!
>>
>> Yes, a VPN is what's needed, as everyone else stated. Suggest a 3rd
>> party, such as a Cisco PIX or a Netscreen.
>>
>> --

> Hey Ace, it's like a buddy of mine I use to run containers with, he
> always said, "You're supposed to listen to what I mean, instead of
> what I say!"

That's it.
There ya go!