Connecting a Samsung ML-4500 to USB

eatmorepies

      26th Feb 2011
Hello

I have an old ML-4500 mono laser with an LPT connection. I want to use it on
my XP machine - this only has USB ports. I've bought an adapter cable and
downloaded and installed various drivers from Samsung - but the
computer/printer system is not working.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks

John

ng_reader

      2nd Mar 2011
On 2/26/2011 5:33 PM, eatmorepies wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an old ML-4500 mono laser with an LPT connection. I want to use it on
> my XP machine - this only has USB ports. I've bought an adapter cable and
> downloaded and installed various drivers from Samsung - but the
> computer/printer system is not working.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single
parallel port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying
around for some reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks
plus shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product

You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

eatmorepies

      2nd Mar 2011
>> John
>>

> I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single parallel
> port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying around for some
> reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks plus shipping
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product
>
> You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

Good idea - I had hoped to be able to run the printer from several
machines - but at least I get some use from it the way you suggest.

John

ng_reader

      2nd Mar 2011
On 3/2/2011 3:57 AM, eatmorepies wrote:
>>> John
>>>

>> I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single
>> parallel port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying
>> around for some reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks
>> plus shipping
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product
>>

>> You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

> Good idea - I had hoped to be able to run the printer from several
> machines - but at least I get some use from it the way you suggest.
>
> John

If you are looking to share, it should act the same was as if it were
connected via USB. That is, you can use the computer it is connected to,
and set up the printer as a shared printer. On the home network, more
than one printer is "shared" allowing for use of multiple printers from
multiple computers at the same time. Of course, the print "server"
computer has to be on, for it to work. Purchasing an external "print
server" will allow for all functions....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-026-_-Product

Or similar.

But, whatever you do, do NOT opt for free shipping from New Egg. Or the
Egg-saver shipping. Whatever that is. Basically you can add about 5
business days for DHL and the USPS to play keep-away with your package.