Connecting to network wirelessly

Blue Max

      6th Dec 2006
We are having trouble connecting wirelessly to our hardwired network
resources. We are using a Linksys Draft 'N' router as a wireless access
point. The laptop we are using connects fine to the internet, using its
integrated wireless 'G' adapter. Furthermore, it can see the workgroup name
of the destop hardwired to the router. The problem is that the wireless
laptop cannot access the shared resources (drives and printers) of the
hardwired desktop, even though it sees the workgroup name of the desktop in
'Network Places'?

Apparently, we are not properly configuring either the laptop or the desktop
so that the laptop can access the resources. We want the laptop to be able
to save and copy files from the desktop and to be able to print to the
desktop printers and vise-a-versa. What do we need to do so that the
wireless notebook can not only see, but also access the hardwired network
resources? Does the desktop need to have a user profile that matches the
laptop user profile and password? Does the laptop workgroup name have to
match the hardwired workgroup name? What other elements may be critical to
making a successful connection?

Thank you for any help!

Sooner Al \(MVP\)

      6th Dec 2006
"Blue Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are having trouble connecting wirelessly to our hardwired network
> resources. We are using a Linksys Draft 'N' router as a wireless access
> point. The laptop we are using connects fine to the internet, using its
> integrated wireless 'G' adapter. Furthermore, it can see the workgroup
> name of the destop hardwired to the router. The problem is that the
> wireless laptop cannot access the shared resources (drives and printers)
> of the hardwired desktop, even though it sees the workgroup name of the
> desktop in 'Network Places'?
>
> Apparently, we are not properly configuring either the laptop or the
> desktop so that the laptop can access the resources. We want the laptop
> to be able to save and copy files from the desktop and to be able to print
> to the desktop printers and vise-a-versa. What do we need to do so that
> the wireless notebook can not only see, but also access the hardwired
> network resources? Does the desktop need to have a user profile that
> matches the laptop user profile and password? Does the laptop workgroup
> name have to match the hardwired workgroup name? What other elements may
> be critical to making a successful connection?
>
> Thank you for any help!

Any chance the XP SP2 Windows Firewall on the desktop is not configured to
allow File & Print Sharing?

Otherwise here are some links that will help you setup file sharing on your
network...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm

--