connect to internet from a windows service

=?Utf-8?B?QHdpbg==?=

      25th Aug 2005
Hello,

I'm creating a windows service with VB.net. (vs 2003)
I want this service to connect (or check the status of the connection) to
the internet via a ISDN modem connection (standard dailup) without a logged
in user.
The service is running on a windows XP embedded OS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this, I have no idea where
to start on this on

Thanks in for your reply

Regards, @win

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

      26th Aug 2005
Win,

In my idea simple, with a modem connection you should have a provider who
handles your connection and therefore you should have a user and a password.

I hope this helps,

Cor,

=?Utf-8?B?QHdpbg==?=

      26th Aug 2005
Hi Cor, Thanks for your response.

This is not really the problem. Let say the dailup connection was already
configured and ready to connect. What I want to do now is to let the windows
service (no logged in user) connect to the internet (at boot, or when
connection was lost)

The machine is running in an remote location and does not have a user
(headless system). I need this system to dump some data every 15 minutes to a
webservice.
Before it can do that it needs a connection via the ISDN line. therfore i
need to setup a routine that prior to dumping the data checks the status of
the connection, and if lost reestablishes it.

Thanks for your help
--
Regards, @win

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:

> Win,
>
> In my idea simple, with a modem connection you should have a provider who
> handles your connection and therefore you should have a user and a password.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Cor,

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

      26th Aug 2005
Win,

Sorry, I was talking from a webservice. What you want to do is a simple ping
to an external server. And for that I know only a commandline solution which
you cannot use.

Can you maybe do something with this one. It is a sample how to get the page
from Google, however what you get is of course not important.

Using this class you can as well get server information. However this is a
very nice short sample.

\\\
Module main
Public Sub main()
Dim myReg As Net.HttpWebRequest = _
DirectCast(Net.WebRequest.Create("http://www.google.com"), _
Net.HttpWebRequest)
Dim myResp As Net.HttpWebResponse = _
DirectCast(myReg.GetResponse(), Net.HttpWebResponse)
Dim myStream As IO.Stream = myResp.GetResponseStream()
Dim myreader As New IO.StreamReader(myStream)
Dim mystring As String = myreader.ReadToEnd()
myResp.Close()
End Sub
End Module
///