Conditional format - value of one cell greater than another cell

Ken Starlin

      7th Nov 2008
How do I set up a conditional format for a cell that I want to change once
the value becomes greater than the value of another cell

Pete_UK

      7th Nov 2008
Imagine you want to change the format of A2 depending on the value in
B2. Select cell A2 and click on Format | Conditional Formatting, and
in the pop-up you should choose Formula Is rather than cell Value Is
in the first box. Then in the next box you can enter this formula:

=A2>B2

Click on the Format button and then choose the Patterns tab (for
background colour) and choose a colour. Click OK twice to exit the
dialogue box.

Now if A2 is larger than B2 the background colour will change. If A2
is not larger than B2 then the background colour will revert to
normal.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 7, 12:09*am, Ken Starlin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> How do I set up a conditional format for a cell that I want to change once
> the value becomes greater than the value of another cell

Ken Starlin

      7th Nov 2008
That's how I used to do it in Excel 2003, but I'm not sure how to get there
in Excel 2007. I can't find the pop up to change from "formula is" to "cell
value" is.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> Imagine you want to change the format of A2 depending on the value in
> B2. Select cell A2 and click on Format | Conditional Formatting, and
> in the pop-up you should choose Formula Is rather than cell Value Is
> in the first box. Then in the next box you can enter this formula:
>
> =A2>B2
>
> Click on the Format button and then choose the Patterns tab (for
> background colour) and choose a colour. Click OK twice to exit the
> dialogue box.
>
> Now if A2 is larger than B2 the background colour will change. If A2
> is not larger than B2 then the background colour will revert to
> normal.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Nov 7, 12:09 am, Ken Starlin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > How do I set up a conditional format for a cell that I want to change once
> > the value becomes greater than the value of another cell

Pete_UK

      7th Nov 2008
I'm sorry, Ken, I don't have XL2007, so I can't help you there.

Perhaps someone else will chip in ... ?

Pete

On Nov 7, 12:43*am, Ken Starlin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> That's how I used to do it in Excel 2003, but I'm not sure how to get there
> in Excel 2007. I can't find the pop up to change from "formula is" to "cell
> value" is.
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > Imagine you want to change the format of A2 depending on the value in
> > B2. Select cell A2 and click on Format | Conditional Formatting, and
> > in the pop-up you should choose Formula Is rather than cell Value Is
> > in the first box. Then in the next box you can enter this formula:

> > =A2>B2

> > Click on the Format button and then choose the Patterns tab (for
> > background colour) and choose a colour. Click OK twice to exit the
> > dialogue box.

> > Now if A2 is larger than B2 the background colour will change. If A2
> > is not larger than B2 then the background colour will revert to
> > normal.

> > Hope this helps.

> > Pete

> > On Nov 7, 12:09 am, Ken Starlin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> > > How do I set up a conditional format for a cell that I want to changeonce
> > > the value becomes greater than the value of another cell- Hide quotedtext -

Fred Smith

      7th Nov 2008
Try this:

Home>Conditional Formatting>New Rule...>Use a formula to determine which
cells to format>Enter formula>Set format

Regards,
Fred.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...