Conditional format based on format of another cell

Jason

      23rd Jul 2003
Hello, I am trying to create a conditional format based on
the format of another cell. I know how to do this with
the values of a cell, but if anyone has any suggestions on
how to do this it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Anon

      23rd Jul 2003
"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0da801c3512e$3b8b0d60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I am trying to create a conditional format based on
> the format of another cell. I know how to do this with
> the values of a cell, but if anyone has any suggestions on
> how to do this it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Select the cell you want to format.
Format > Conditional formatting
Change the first box from "Cell value is" to "Formula is".
Type a formula in the second box (see below).
Choose the format required.
OK twice.

Now for the formula. For example, if you want the format to apply if the
value of $D$3 is greater than 6, the formula would be
=($D$3>6)

Dave

      23rd Jul 2003

some additional information to help you. Email me
at:(E-Mail Removed)

Dave

Jason

      23rd Jul 2003

Thanks for your reply. I do know how to do that type of
conditional formatting, but how do you go about doing
something like "IF cell x = green background then cell y
should be formatted with whatever condition I choose". I
am not looking at the value of the cell. I am trying to
look at the format of the cell to determine the new cell's
format. If you have a suggestion for that it would be
very helpful. Thank you.

Gord Dibben

      23rd Jul 2003
Jason

Getting the results you want would depend upon how cell "x" became green.

If it turned green due to Conditional Formatting, you could use the same
condition to color cell "y".

If it turned green because you manually formatted it, Excel cannot deal with
this because it has no Function to look at colors.

You would need a User Defined Function to return the background color index
number then use that to format cell "y".

Have a look at Chip Pearson's page at.........

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002