computer shuts down with message RPC ????????

dean

      12th Aug 2003

shuts down and restarts about 60 sec and re boots
please let me know if you have found a way to stop it
thanks

Colin M. McGroarty

      12th Aug 2003
URLs may wrap

Easy, but annoying fix. When your computer starts go to the services applet
found in administrative tools. Select properties for the RPC or Remote
Procedure Call service. Change the Recovery from "Restart Computer" to
"Restart Service." Now your PC will stay up long enough to fix.

Next download the Microsoft Patch found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

The patch is currently in the top download choices for both Win 2K and Win
XP. Choose accordingly and download.

Once the patch is installed make sure to do a full virus scan with current
virus definitions.
See Symantec's web page

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ster.worm.html

Once the worm has been eliminated I recommend running Windows Update to get
all the current critical updates.
Lastly, change the RPC service back to "Restart Computer" as the recovery
method.

Hope this helps,

--
Colin M. McGroarty
MCP+I, MCSE, NT-CIP

(E-Mail Removed)
www.McGroarty.org

news:057401c3606c$4815ab60$(E-Mail Removed)...