computer not booting up normal only in safemode

sheps1shot

      24th Feb 2009
Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up in
normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is loading
then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
just blinks.

I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
restored.
I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system recovery
disk for it.

I have also lost all sound on my computer.

SC Tom

      24th Feb 2009

"sheps1shot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
> in
> normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
> then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
> just blinks.
>
> I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
> restored.
> I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
> recovery
> disk for it.
>
> I have also lost all sound on my computer.

Look here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r185...tore-this-file

Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might try
setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought them
to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set to,
so it would black out and the power light would blink.

SC Tom

Bob Harris

      27th Feb 2009
To build on what the previous reply said, you might want to download and
install the latest video drivers for the video card. If the video is built
into the motherboard, instead of being on a separate card, check the
PC-maker's support site for drivers.

"sheps1shot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
> in
> normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
> then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
> just blinks.
>
> I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
> restored.
> I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
> recovery
> disk for it.
>
> I have also lost all sound on my computer.

Alister

      27th Feb 2009
On Feb 24, 6:55*pm, "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sheps1shot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
> > in
> > normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
> > then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off light
> > just blinks.

> > I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
> > restored.
> > I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
> > recovery
> > disk for it.

> > I have also lost all sound on my computer.

> Look here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r185...atabase-is-mis...
>
> Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
> blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
> card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might try
> setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
> seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought them
> to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
> the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set to,
> so it would black out and the power light would blink.
>
> SC Tom

Changing the video settings in Safe Mode doesn't affect the video
resolution in Normal mode..

Instead, when booting, press and hold the F8 key until you get the
boot options screen.
Select VGA mode from the list and hit enter. When the PC has finished
booting, you can select a
valid screen resolution and then you MUST reboot for it to save as
your new normal mode video settings.

Alister

SC Tom

      27th Feb 2009

"Alister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 24, 6:55 pm, "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sheps1shot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Can someone help me figure out why I can not get my computer to start up
> > in
> > normal mode. When I start it up in normal mode it comes up like it is
> > then it just goes blank and my monitor just shuts off and the on/off
> > light
> > just blinks.

> > I alos keep getting an error that says snmaster.idx database needs to be
> > restored.
> > I bought this computer from a pawn shop and I do not have a system
> > recovery
> > disk for it.

> > I have also lost all sound on my computer.

> Look
> here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r185...atabase-is-mis...
>
> Looks like the file is an AOL file. That probably isn't what's causing the
> blank screen, though. While you're in safe mode, check what kind of video
> card you have, and what version drivers are installed for it. You might
> try
> setting a lower refresh rate and resolution in the driver properties- I've
> seen this happen on some of the CAD stations I worked on when I brought
> them
> to my area but had to hook them up to my old CRT instead of the nice LCD's
> the engineers had. My CRT wouldn't go to the resolution they had it set
> to,
> so it would black out and the power light would blink.
>
> SC Tom

Changing the video settings in Safe Mode doesn't affect the video
resolution in Normal mode..

Instead, when booting, press and hold the F8 key until you get the
boot options screen.
Select VGA mode from the list and hit enter. When the PC has finished
booting, you can select a
valid screen resolution and then you MUST reboot for it to save as
your new normal mode video settings.

Alister

Well, duh, of course you're right. Don't know what I was thinking on that
one. I was still in the "remove the old drivers" mode of thought, then lost
all of it. Call it a senior moment, or half-heimer's since I only recall
half of what I need to know at times

SC Tom