complete registry backup from the command line with 'reg save'

bill

      21st Jun 2007
Hello,

do the commands (all together)

reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test
reg save HKLM\default c:\test
reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test
reg save HKLM\Sytem c:\test
reg save HKLM\System.alt c:\test

really save the whole regirstry and why is "HKLM" needed?

Thank's a lot for any feedback!

Bill

Olof Lagerkvist

      21st Jun 2007
bill wrote:

> Hello,
>

> do the commands (all together)
>
> reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test
> reg save HKLM\default c:\test
> reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test
> reg save HKLM\Sytem c:\test
> reg save HKLM\System.alt c:\test

No, you need to specify filenames too. Example:

reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test\SOFTWARE
reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test\SAM

etc.

Then you need to change the command for the "default":

reg save HKU\.default c:\test\default

> really save the whole regirstry and why is "HKLM" needed?

If you look at the registry with 'regedit' you will see why. The so
called "hives" can be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_USERS and you
need to specify either of these to 'reg save', or the shortened HKLM or HKU.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Mark V

      21st Jun 2007
In microsoft.public.win2000.registry, bill wrote:

> Hello,
>

> do the commands (all together)
>
> reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test
> reg save HKLM\default c:\test
> reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test
> reg save HKLM\Sytem c:\test
> reg save HKLM\System.alt c:\test
>

> really save the whole regirstry and why is "HKLM" needed?

Not your topic but you should, if not familiar already, investigate
ERUNT

There is also a set of tools in some Windows Resource Kits (NT4
ResKit for certain): REGBACK.EXE, REGREST.EXE

bill

      25th Jun 2007
On 21 Jun., 18:28, Mark V <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In microsoft.public.win2000.registry, bill wrote:
> > Hello,

> > do the commands (all together)

> > reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test
> > reg save HKLM\default c:\test
> > reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test
> > reg save HKLM\Sytem c:\test
> > reg save HKLM\System.alt c:\test

> > really save the whole regirstry and why is "HKLM" needed?

> Not your topic but you should, if not familiar already, investigate
> ERUNT
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> There is also a set of tools in some Windows Resource Kits (NT4
> ResKit for certain): REGBACK.EXE, REGREST.EXE

Thank's for the feedback! Browsing in the registry gives me the
impression, there
are the following "main keys".. Therefore I tried to backup:

reg save HKLM\Config c:\regbackup\%date%-Config
reg save HKLM\Driver c:\regbackup\%date%-Driver
reg save HKLM\Enum c:\regbackup\%date%-Enum
reg save HKLM\Hardware c:\regbackup\%date%-Hardware
reg save HKLM\Network c:\regbackup\%date%-Network
reg save HKLM\Security c:\regbackup\%date%-security
reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\regbackup\%date%-software
reg save HKLM\System c:\regbackup\%date%-system

reg save HKU\.Default c:\regbackup\%date%-Default
reg save HKU\Software c:\regbackup\%date%-Software

But only the following keys could be saved:
reg save HKLM\Hardware c:\regbackup\%date%-Hardware
reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\regbackup\%date%-software
reg save HKLM\System c:\regbackup\%date%-system
reg save HKU\.Default c:\regbackup\%date%-Default

The rest of the listed keys were locked(?) and could not be
accessed...

Are those files not needed for a complete registry backup?
If they are needed, how can they be saved from the command line?

Thank's a lot for any additional help! Bill

Mark V

      25th Jun 2007
In microsoft.public.win2000.registry, bill wrote:

> On 21 Jun., 18:28, Mark V <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In microsoft.public.win2000.registry, bill wrote:
>> > Hello,

>> > do the commands (all together)

>> > reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\test
>> > reg save HKLM\default c:\test
>> > reg save HKLM\SAM c:\test
>> > reg save HKLM\Sytem c:\test
>> > reg save HKLM\System.alt c:\test

>> > really save the whole regirstry and why is "HKLM" needed?

>> Not your topic but you should, if not familiar already,
>> investigate ERUNT
>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>>
>> There is also a set of tools in some Windows Resource Kits (NT4
>> ResKit for certain): REGBACK.EXE, REGREST.EXE

> Thank's for the feedback! Browsing in the registry gives me the
> impression, there
> are the following "main keys".. Therefore I tried to backup:

< http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc...ps/winntmag/in
reg.mspx?mfr=true > (written for NT4)

> reg save HKLM\Config c:\regbackup\%date%-Config
> reg save HKLM\Driver c:\regbackup\%date%-Driver
> reg save HKLM\Enum c:\regbackup\%date%-Enum
> reg save HKLM\Hardware c:\regbackup\%date%-Hardware
> reg save HKLM\Network c:\regbackup\%date%-Network
> reg save HKLM\Security c:\regbackup\%date%-security
> reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\regbackup\%date%-software
> reg save HKLM\System c:\regbackup\%date%-system
>
> reg save HKU\.Default c:\regbackup\%date%-Default
> reg save HKU\Software c:\regbackup\%date%-Software
>

> But only the following keys could be saved:
> reg save HKLM\Hardware c:\regbackup\%date%-Hardware
> reg save HKLM\SOFTWARE c:\regbackup\%date%-software
> reg save HKLM\System c:\regbackup\%date%-system
> reg save HKU\.Default c:\regbackup\%date%-Default
>
> The rest of the listed keys were locked(?) and could not be
> accessed...
>
> Are those files not needed for a complete registry backup?
> If they are needed, how can they be saved from the command line?

You have not mentioned your OS and all comments here based on W2K.

A Full Registry Backup means securing a copy of the active hives to
files on disk. Equivalent to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM
\winnt\system32\config\system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SAM
\winnt\system32\config\sam

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SECURITY
\winnt\system32\config\security

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE
\winnt\system32\config\software

HKEY_USERS \.DEFAULT
\winnt\system32\config\default

HKEY_USERS \UserProfile
Profile; usually under <Documents and Settings>\USERNAME\
NTUSER.DAT (and UsrClass.dat)

This is done via Win32 API functions. This is exactly what ERUNT
does and ERUNT can be run from a CLI. NTBACKUP.EXE can also do
this via the GUI ("ERD", "Also backup the registry to the repair
directory. ...") Regback.exe (if available) does the same.

While it may be possible to use REG.EXE SAVE, I would not know and
would not use that tool. For me, REG SAVE is the CLI equivalent to
regedt32.exe "Save key..." (binary) function and intended to save
the binary copy (with permissions) of a limited sub-key, not an
entire hive. I would use REG SAVE only for the limited purpose of
saving a sub-key in binary form from the command line, similar to
"exporting" a sub-key as text using regedit.exe /e (or /a).

I suggest you utilize tried and true tools designed and intended
for the purpose of making Full Registry Backups.

bill

      29th Jun 2007
On 25 Jun., 20:29, Mark V <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> NTUSER.DAT (and UsrClass.dat)
>
> This is done via Win32 API functions. This is exactly what ERUNT
> does and ERUNT can be run from a CLI. NTBACKUP.EXE can also do
> this via the GUI ("ERD", "Also backup the registry to the repair
> directory. ...") Regback.exe (if available) does the same.
>
> While it may be possible to use REG.EXE SAVE, I would not know and
> would not use that tool. For me, REG SAVE is the CLI equivalent to
> regedt32.exe "Save key..." (binary) function and intended to save
> the binary copy (with permissions) of a limited sub-key, not an
> entire hive. I would use REG SAVE only for the limited purpose of
> saving a sub-key in binary form from the command line, similar to
> "exporting" a sub-key as text using regedit.exe /e (or /a).
>
> I suggest you utilize tried and true tools designed and intended
> for the purpose of making Full Registry Backups.

Thank's a lot for the important tips. I learned a lot! Bill